PDA

View Full Version : Wheel as Zoom and Pan

tcoursey
06-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Incorporate the Wheel on the mouse to be a ZOOM and PAN button. Zoom would be when you roll the wheel forward and backward. Have a preset zoom factor for each rotation. (Reference AutoCAD) Press and hold for pan. This would function just like the ALT key.

Maybe this is a user preference in the options panel. That way we have the option.

lardbros
06-19-2005, 07:35 AM
I second this request. It would be mighty handy for everyone. I say make the most of all the buttons you have... at the moment the middle mouse button in modeller is for extra selections which i like the way it is. BUT having the wheel as zoom would be superb!

tcoursey
06-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Yes, there could definetly be several options for how it works. Give us a preferences / Options radio button for selecting our favorite method of implementation. Then all users can be happy.... :)

Thanks.

Weetos
06-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I'd like to see that implemented too :) nowadays most mice have a wheel/MMB and I'd love being able to assign it to zoom/pan

Please, NT ;)

Verlon
06-22-2005, 05:49 AM
On many mice, you car program the wheel to be the , and . keys (including microsoft and logitech mice). We used to slave key commands to the wheel in Everquest.

Using intellipoint from microsoft, you can even have the commands be application specific.

Dodgy
06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
On many mice, you car program the wheel to be the , and . keys (including microsoft and logitech mice). We used to slave key commands to the wheel in Everquest.

Using intellipoint from microsoft, you can even have the commands be application specific.

Unfortunately LW doesn't allow you to assign keys to the viewport controls, so you can't use this function :P

And you can't assign mouse buttons to key combinations which involve mouse buttons (like setting MMB to be alt-ctrl-LMB to make it zoom) so this doesn't work either...

Please please please NT give us these options :)

Just add the following to the key preferences editor:

View Navigation:

Pan x
Pan y
Pan z
Pan in Screen plane (for ex maya users, though I hate this myself :))
Orbit Heading
Orbit Pitch
Orbit Bank
zoom in
zoom out

Mouse menu 1
Mouse menu 2
Mouse menu 3

Mouse key combos
LMB left/right
LMB up/down
MMB left/right
MMB up/down
MMB Scroll up
MMB scroll down
RMB left/right
RMB up/down

And all of the above with ctrl/shift/alt/ctrl+alt/shift+alt/ctrl+shift/ctrl+shift+alt key combos.

Then I could have my fav set up:

alt-lmb = rotate H/P
alt- rmb=pan x/z
alt-mmb=pan y
alt-mmb scroll=zoom

Cause I never ever use bank :)
And I can free up alt-sift/ctrl combinaions for other things...

Verlon
06-22-2005, 12:38 PM
for the zoom, isn't that , and . (< and > without the shift)? it gets me closer and further away from my object.