PDA

View Full Version : RenderFarm Commander 3.0 released

brayne
06-13-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi all,

I'm extremely pleased to announce that I have finally officially released version 3.0 of RenderFarm Commander, my ScreamerNet rendering utility for Mac OSX.

For all registered users of RenderFarm Commander, this is a FREE upgrade.

There are many new features in Version 3.0, which are listed below. You can read about them in further detail in the “What’s New in Version 3.0?” chapter of the pdf manual included with the download. Some of these new features have been requested by users, and others are of my own invention. If you have requested a feature, and it's not included in this update, please don't worry. I am still working
on some of the larger requests, and you may still see your requested feature in the future.

RenderFarm Commander version 3.0 is available from my website:
http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html

RenderFarm Commander Version 3.0 new features:
-Split render buffer exports
-Click and drag scene priority
-Split render maximum increased to 32
-Individual segment rendering selection
-Render node “traffic lights”
-LightWave Launcher
-Separate Command and Content directories
-Path re-mapping
-.flx verify
-Support for PLD anti-aliasing
-LightWave version 8.3 compatibility
-Object replacement

Ryhnio
06-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Excellent!

:)

3dworks
06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
bruce,

that's great news .-)
version 2.xx was already excellent!!

markus

roberthurt
06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Bruce,

Awesome work on 3.0; this is as always a tremendous asset!

One oddity, however, I've noticed setting up new nodes. After I build them (I use the "safe" option to make local copies of the plugs), Node Checker burps when trying to parse the extensions preferences, and can't find any of the extensions.

Examining the Lightwave Extensions 8 Prefs files in the SNC Preferences folder, I note that the module path always has "**LocalDrive**:LWSN Node xxx" etc. in the path. This seems to choke node checker. If I globally replace **LocalDrive** with the path to that directory, it all seems to work OK.

Is this a known anomalous behavior, or am I missing something in the setup process?

Thanks!

brayne
06-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Robert,

I'll check that out straight away. In the meantime, you should be able to build without the "Safe" option, as this really only benefits computers using OS 10.2.X. If you are on Panther or Tiger, you should be able to just do a normal build. Creating local copies of all of the extensions uses quite a bit more hard disk space.

I'll let you know as soon as I have fixed the problem.

Bruce

Ozzie
06-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Bruce thanks for making RenderFarm Commander it is brilliant. I set it to render overnight when people leave. Thankfully they are all using dual 2ghz boxes so things move along really quick.

One feature I would like to see added is the ability to set an alarm clock for each node which will tell it to shutdown at a set a time.

For instance. I currently have to get to work before everyone else to log off their machines so they can use them when they get in. It would be really handy if I could tell each node individually when to stop picking up new frames, say 7.30am. This way the nodes would not pick up any new frames after 7.30 and then would quit LWSN after finishing the last frame. Having individual control would also be important as some staff only work 3 days per week, so I know they aren't going to be at work, therefore their machine would just keep rendering, whilst other machines log off.

Is this even possible?

Anyhow it is a great product, have you approached Newtek with it?

CHEERS.

Mark

brayne
06-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Mark,

That's a great feature idea. In future releases, I'm really looking to try and integrate all of the render farm elements much closer. For instance, I am already running a beta of a new feature that allows you to do an F9 and F10 render to your render farm, without having to leave LightWave. I am also looking at developing a sort of remote control that will start and stop ScreamerNet nodes via the host. This could be great in conjunction with your "alarm clock" idea.

I am also developing a "smart split" feature that will assign a speed value to each node, and will then split frames into bite sized pieces that suite the speed of the node. The theory being that you are more likely to end up with all nodes ending at the same time, without your fast nodes sitting and waiting while your slow nodes chew on a really complicated render segment.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion, and I think you can definitely look forward to seing that in a future version.

Bruce

P.S. Newtek have a copy of RenderFarm Commander, but I haven't heard any comments from them.