View Full Version : How much to upgrade to 8?

04-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Has anyone from Newtek set the upgrade price for 8 yet? I just upgraded from 6.5b to 7.5b end of march and was curious.. if nothing else I hope there will be a 7.5c to fix some of the .b buggies...

Thanks for any info

04-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Unless they change the current price, it will be $395 US.

04-26-2003, 09:46 PM
Figures.. and here I just registered on March 25th and now less than a year later, again I have to spend 400 bucks...

I wish they would go by how long since you last registered, like let you get it free for one year after last registration.. I can't believe I missed the free thing by 5 or six days... I read that 8 would be free if you registered on or around 1 april...


04-27-2003, 09:29 AM
I was soooooo close to update, and i'm so fu**in glad i was to niggardly to do so...man now i have to do it. Downside is now i don't have too much time for 3d for the next year :rolleyes:

04-27-2003, 12:52 PM
hmm, isnt that kind of backwards? They could also reward people for having used it Longer....

Someone will always be one day on the wrong side of a cutoff...


04-27-2003, 01:19 PM
No, not really. It's not backwards. It is unfortunately how it goes sometimes.

04-27-2003, 09:54 PM
You should really look on the bright side of it. You just bought the software and already there's an upgrade coming out which will make your Lightwave experience even better. I'm sure once you make the decision to upgrade to 8 (and you still probably have at least 5 months at least anyway until the update is available) it'll be worth it. I've been waiting a year and a half for 8. I'd of been pumped had it come out a year aqo.

04-28-2003, 02:04 AM


<at least thats the humorous side of it...>

05-25-2003, 05:56 PM
I bought 7.5 Xmas 2002 and a bit anoyed that people who bought in April get 8 free.

$400 is a lot to pay when you already shelled out more than twice that only a year hence.

Theres my gripe anyway.

Shall be well worth the upgrade though.

Lightwave rocks

05-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Just think of the faithful few who've upgraded LW since LW 4, and had to shell out @ 500 bucks every single time a new release came out...

05-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by PHilly[Dee]
Just think of the faithful few who've upgraded LW since LW 4, and had to shell out @ 500 bucks every single time a new release came out...

Yeah, that's sorta how I see it. I bought it with version 5.0 (shortly after 5 came out), and ever since I've pretty much just upgraded when a new version was released (I skipped 5.5 since 5.0 was so new to me). I'm by no means wealthy either ;) -- I just set my priorities, and LW is at the top (if I have to starve for a month to help save money, then so be it!). This way, I can never feel slighted by being on the wrong side of a freebie upgrade cutoff date.

Mind you, I had an experience early on by being on the wrong side and missing a free upgrade by a meer two or three days (on Corel's early graphics packages many years ago), so I guess that's why I've adopted the whole Buy-At-Release-of-New-Version philosophy. :rolleyes:

05-27-2003, 02:35 PM
they have to have a cut off date, otherwise every upgrade would be free!!!

05-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Why couldn't it be for 1 year after you buy it... if a major release comes out and you've had it for less than a year, it's free...

05-28-2003, 01:03 AM
Because once again, then the people at 13 months would want a free upgrade. You have to cut it off at some point.

As far as people who've owned it since version 4 and had to pay for each upgrade.... Some of us are pretty happy when an update comes out and are glad to pay for it. It's still cheaper then upgrades for Max, Maya, and XSI.

05-28-2003, 02:36 AM
True, and there does need to be a cutoff, but given the fact that people tend to buy the program at various times, then the best of all worlds would be a 1-year free upgrade cycle from the date of purchase.. it certainly is more fair if a guy buys it 1 day before the cutoff date... but hey, newtek sets their own policies..

just an opinion..

05-28-2003, 05:53 AM
I bought 6.5 a couple of years ago. When 7 came out, I decided to wait until 8 came out as I am only a hobbiest. The wait KILLED me (literally, I'm speaking from the grave) :) As soon as they announced the free upgrade, I got 7.5. However, I have learned an important lesson: Lots of people have expensive hobbies (a buddy of mine races motorcycles, puts my spending to shame), $400 every 18 months to 2 years ain't squat! Moral of the story, spend the $400 as soon as the upgrade is available, that way you get the newest toy as soon as it's available :) and you don't get f*cked by a few weeks (not to insinuate Newtek is f*cking anybody!).