PDA

View Full Version : A cool selection tool that selects only the polys you click on!

iandavis
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I have been bugging about this particular feature since VERSION 5.6. I am currently under the gun to finish a model for a client and so far tonight I have 'accidentally' deleted several polygons, costing me a serious bit of time REBUILDING.

Ok, so my suggestion for a feature.

When you click on a polygon in the OGL window IT SELECTS ONE. Not two, not three, not five hundred... BUT ONE.. JUST ONE.

I'm a little frustrated, since this is a bug which has been left unaddressed since at least version 5.6, where much development effort has been invested in adding a whole crop of new features, but frankly all I'd like is a modeler which doesn't mysteriously and randomly select extra polygons!

In fact, I just purchased another modeler at expense in both time and money which I find unbelievable since I have invested over $3000 in THIS ONE and I can't even be confident in SELECTING A POLYGON! there is something major wrong with this scenerio.

So, a new feature, a selection tool that selects what you click on!

Cool, that would be the bomb!

frustrated.
Ian Davis.

Drakaran
06-13-2005, 10:56 AM
um, I just drag select or <shift> select while I am in poly selection mode. or am I not getting what you mean?

UnCommonGrafx
06-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah,
He's talking about modeler's penchant for selecting things outside your view, generally when tightly cropped on a small area. You select them, then start moving around and then when you look at the whole thing, you have inadvertantly moved some other portion of your model.

I've just gotten used to keeping one viewport zoomed out so I could see everyting.

Drakaran
06-13-2005, 01:07 PM
ah! to avoid that, I work in wireframe shade or textured wire (depending) to help avoid most of that. further, I tend to mainly work in the default 4 pane view with most views in wire frame (independent zoom), I can generally tell if I have more than the one surface selected.

in LW 8+ If you look in the bottom left corner, to the right of the area that shows the position of the cursor is a box that says Sel: 1 (or however many polys you have selected), if you aren't sure if you only have one poly selected, check there.

cagey5
06-13-2005, 01:51 PM
I guess we all know the little checks we can do to help address the problem but the initial posters point still stands.
What is so difficult about getting this fixed. You should be able to select and not have to keep double checking that it hasn't picked up something else that is nowhere near the poly you wanted..

UnCommonGrafx
06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Chuckling,
I do believe we'd ALL like ALL of those legacy gems to disappear so that the flow of artistic thought can go on without having to 'think around' the "gems of hassle".

Until that time, however, this request is like the bug report sent is like the other threads on the same topic surrounding legacy issues: stuff I can't change.

When work needs to get done, get it done, regardless of what you might want into the future. I'd rather the info to get over the "gems of hassle" than to just fume. Or worse, go spend thousands just to find new and unknown "gems of hassle".

iandavis
06-13-2005, 06:33 PM
thanks Cagey5, I think you nailed it... why should we keep checking. I was complaining to a friend of mine who has been using LW as long as I (7+years) and his response was "I always keep the statistical panel open"... I'm thinking...yeah, we have gotten so used to these issues we have forgotten that they are actually bugs. We all go oooo, aaaa when newtek introduces yet another feature which usually contains issues too.

I know all about the feedback thing... I am constantly checking the polygon count, the point count, etc. I constantly zoom out, then back on to confirm that NO, I didn't also select 20 other polys. I also don't like to hide most of my model all the time to avoid this issue. I even wanted to suggest that they attach user defined info to the cursor, but then I thought, wouldn't it be easier just to FIX THE BUG... Apparently not.

We are all so used to the fact that Lightwave was designed by engineers that we artists start to believe there is something wrong with our own way of doing something, that our minds and expectations must be at fault. I'm not suggesting that this is a replacement for Lightwave, but download and play with the new hexagon modeler. This is what got me thinking about how complacient I have become.

Am I so stuck that I can't explore my options? I mean, I can't imagine a better animation system then Layout. Why is layout so wonderful and modeler such a dog? Is it wrong to be a little bit demanding when they want SEVEN HUNDRED dollars canadian for an update and yet refuse to fix a bug not after one rev, not two but count them...5.6, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.1, 7.5, 8.0, 8.3... I mean COME ON! a serious workflow bug can't be treated seriously?

As for spending thousands to find another option which may or may not be better... no, I spent $200US on an application which has been in use since 1986. Shade7. Time will tell if I can practically replace Lightwave Modeler with Shade, but I'm going to give it the college try. The only thing I can do is vote with my words (these posts) and vote with my money. When my work starts coming out Shade, not LW... well the proof as they say is in the pudding.

I will continue to use Layout, and even modeler for small jobs, but I'm the guy who has had enough. enough cursing and getting angry. Enough frustration, lost data and 10 hour jobs that should take 5. I'm finally after 5 years of complaining about such silly things as THIS bug I've spent my first dollar on something NON-Lightwave.

I've put my money where my mouth is. So to speak.

Newtek, I'm not alone. I'd pay dollars if you just released Lightwave 9 as a "NEW-feature-free" super-streamlined, overhauled code, some actual thought given to how the tools work for a production artist, modeler. In fact, I'd throw a party..... please? pretty please? we just want to stop having crashes and obtuse tools...

Lightwave user.

papou
06-13-2005, 07:47 PM
yep, i still select outside my view in modeler if i zoom too much, or if i try to select from strange angle. I have lost polys like you, destoyed symmetry, etc...

and yep, i'm tired too.

riki
06-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah happens to me sometimes, I'll be working on a section of a model, get it just right and then zoom out to find I've accidentally deleted another section of the model somewhere else. I guess it pays to keep an eye on how many polys you have selected and make incremental backups.

lardbros
06-19-2005, 07:52 AM
I had this alot with using version 6 but haven't had it at all recently. I cam to the conclusion that the reason for not having it anymore is that i actually count (subconsciously) the polys when i'm selecting them, and then check at the bottom left to see if it matches.

I'm amazed my brain can do this while trying to be creative at the same time. It (my brain) shouldn't have to bother doing this, i could use that part of my head for something more creative than counting as i select!

Get it sorted.