PDA

View Full Version : creating png files in photoshop

stan hall
06-12-2005, 09:12 AM
what's the best method to get a png into VT4 from photoshop? i created a few but they had strange white lines or had large black, non-transparent areas.

Jim Capillo
06-12-2005, 06:35 PM
what's the best method to get a png into VT4 from photoshop? i created a few but they had strange white lines or had large black, non-transparent areas.

Not sure what you're doing there, but I can just drag 'em on to the timeline. :confused:

stan hall
06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
i created lower third in photoshop CS. the first time it was 720X480. when i brought it in to the VT4 CG the black areas of the image should have transparent but apparently png's don't preserve the alpha layer. i recreated it making it only the size of the lower third itself. came in okay but had a white line across the top. my original comp in CS was all black except for the lower third iself.
will VT4 accept a native .psd file or is there a way to preserve the alpha in a png?
will VT4 accept any other formats?
thanks
stan

Ivan
06-12-2005, 10:42 PM
If you are seeing the checkerboard background in PS it should be saving the transparency. PNGs should just keep that part as transparent. Are you turning on overlay or are you trying to key it?

Ivan

Jim Capillo
06-13-2005, 05:08 AM
I don't have CS (PS 7), but usually, I'll just make another layer, erase the background, type the letters, flatten and then save as a png. I haven't used it in a while, but I'll check it tomorrow to see if it still works that way.

Norman
06-13-2005, 05:20 AM
Make sure the pixel aspect ratio is set properly in Photoshop before creating your pages.

mgrusin
06-13-2005, 12:48 PM
What version of Photoshop are you using? I've been unable to get transparent .PNGs from an older Photoshop (5) to work in VT.

-MG.

ted
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
We are currently on PhotoShop CS2, but we've always used PS to make our CG's.
Start with a "Transparent" background. The type your text. DON'T cut the background out. There will be artifacts from the cut.

.png's from PS work fine. Make sure you turn on HQ for your final dub. We usually work with Low Quality since we regularly have 20 or more overlays on a 30 second spot and maybe several spots on a timeline. Then before we dub, we turn everything on HQ and force render or just render the spot.

One more tip. In PS, place a 1/2 pixel motion blur on the text. It helps with the limitations of NTSC. My GFX guy has set up several actions to automate this.

Pete Draves
06-13-2005, 05:25 PM
I use photoshop cs. I work in the psd format readymade template with a transparent background.
To make a png I DO NOT flatten the image BUT just save as a png.
I also ude the 1/2 pixel gausian blur.
I even do this on the png created in a roll or crawl project an use the keyframes to move the image. Looks better than a 32bit roll rtv from the cg
Pete

Norman
06-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm using CS2, but I've been using .png's since the filetype was released, thinking that .gif's were going to be dropped. You know, I remember a problem I once had, using Photoshop .png files in LightWave, but that was the only instance. I wound up using PaintShop Pro to create the .png files and they worked fine. I never had the problem again.

Pete Draves
06-14-2005, 08:19 AM
that preoblem slmost seems to be a bug in cs2(8).
there seems no problem in cs(7)
Pete

ted
06-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Pete, what bug is that? (in CS2).

TRCC
06-29-2005, 05:41 PM
why not just use .psd? they are also compatable with VT. I havent had any problems with PSDs

Pete Draves
06-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Ted
sometimes has artifcts that show on screen(horiz lines)
Pete

cyberhawk
06-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Not long ago we upgraded from PS 5.5 to CS. What worked for us in 5.5 (and still works in CS) is to turn the background off. Create an Alpha Channel of what you want to be visible, then save as a Targa (tga) file.
We also save CG pages as tga files then bring them into the timeline to minimize CG lockup.

Rick