PDA

View Full Version : LW Memory Management?

nickej
06-11-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm wondering about LWs memory requirements (for Win2K specifically, but also in general). I've always heard that Photoshop requires 5X as much RAM as your image size in order to avoid paging, and I was wondering what the requirements are for LW. I ask specifically because I get occasional "Out of Memory" errors with a model that's about 700K polys (around 30MB) with about 200MB of images. I've got 2GB RAM now, so I'd thought I had reasonable "headroom", but apparently not. What uses most RAM--images or polys? Is there anywhere this sort of stuff is explained in detail?

marinello2003
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm wondering about LWs memory requirements (for Win2K specifically, but also in general). I've always heard that Photoshop requires 5X as much RAM as your image size in order to avoid paging, and I was wondering what the requirements are for LW. I ask specifically because I get occasional "Out of Memory" errors with a model that's about 700K polys (around 30MB) with about 200MB of images. I've got 2GB RAM now, so I'd thought I had reasonable "headroom", but apparently not. What uses most RAM--images or polys? Is there anywhere this sort of stuff is explained in detail?

I would say that large images take up the most memory typically, and then followed by large poly models. That can vary by scene of course.

I have been able to get LW to handle up to 2.5GB ram without crashing. After that it fails.

nickej
06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks! I have noticed that big images really need to be rendered in segments, for just that reason, I suppose. I was wondering if there is a sort of "rule of thumb" out there that maybe Newtek had released....sort of like:"Number of MB for all models + number of MB for all images X number of MB of final output image X 5 = number of MB RAM needed"....