PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric Problem?

cinevid
06-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I seem to be having a problem with volumetric lighting (LW 7.5 build 572).
I created a torch flame with an Artbeats flame anim map and accompanying matte file is used for transparency. Everything looks great in all my renders until I turn on volumetric lighting and then I can see the shape of the polygon that has the torch anim mapped to it. It's a bit transparent and more visible the closer to the volumetric light it gets but very annoying. I made sure all the shadow attributes are off on the polygon but nothing changes are far as visibility goes. I have also tried using the matte file as a clip-map for the polygon and still no change to the transparency. As soon as the volumetric feature of my key light is off everything looks great on the torch polygon is concerned. Is this a problem with this build or am I doing something stupid as usual? I tried to post an attachment showing the problem but I seem to be having a problem doing that...sorry.
mp

Lightwolf
06-11-2005, 11:05 AM
You will need to turn on raytracing, otherwise volumetric will not be visible behind transparent object.
The option is in the render panel: "Raytrace Transparency".

Cheers,
Mike

cinevid
06-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Oooo yeah!!!! That's it. Thanks!

Lightwolf
06-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Oooo yeah!!!! That's it. Thanks!
*phew, lucky me* You're welcome :D

Cheers,
Mike

Dodgy
06-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I have noticed an artifact with some of my renders with ray trace transparency. it almost looks like the Hv's are being refracted, even though it's just an alpha'd semi transparent poly passing in front of them :P

marinello2003
06-15-2005, 02:25 PM
I have noticed an artifact with some of my renders with ray trace transparency. it almost looks like the Hv's are being refracted, even though it's just an alpha'd semi transparent poly passing in front of them :P

I get Artifacts from flying a camera through HVs. Do they look like flat shaded hard edged shapes? There is an issue with HVs that I have been bugging NT to fix for a while now.

Dodgy
06-15-2005, 03:44 PM
No, it's more like they're being refracted even though I don't have refraction on the semi transparent polygon :P