PDA

View Full Version : Money for Nothing video

Hiraghm
04-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Anyone remember that ancient "Money for Nothing" video on MTV waaaaay back when? Fully 3D. If so, does anyone know what software was used to create it? Part of me hopes it was Videoscape (which is still one of the coolest names for a graphics software product....)

Rei
04-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Get your Money for nothing and your chicks for free.

It was created in Lightwave I think. Well I know one Dire Straits video was created with it, so I think it must be this one. Although I have never seen the video to it.

Great band though!

Rei

Hiraghm
04-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Had Videoscape become Lightwave by that time? Even better if it was Lightwave they used! ;)

JReble
04-26-2003, 07:01 PM
I don't think it was done in LW, but it was done on a Silicon Graphics system. I thin the software was also from SGI. At the time they were using some pretty specialized apps and LW probably played a supporting role.

ursa
04-27-2003, 03:03 PM
it was done by the guys who became mainframe and did
reboot, which the cg guys from the video had cameo appearances on. dont know what software was used for the video, but by the time they had done reboot and others they were working with softimage.

Rei
04-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Just got my 3d world from March this year.

Rushes creates robotic duo for Dire Straits' Money for nothing video

cgolchert
05-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JReble
I don't think it was done in LW, but it was done on a Silicon Graphics system. I thin the software was also from SGI. At the time they were using some pretty specialized apps and LW probably played a supporting role.

Money for nothing was a few years before Lightwave. At the time there wasn't a whole lot of videoscape use in commercial music videos. This was during the $150,000 3d systems era.

Does anyone ever think LW wasn't used for everything :)

robewil
05-01-2003, 04:03 PM
It could not possibly have been done in Lightwave or Videoscape 3D. That video came out in 1985. Videoscape was released in late 1986.

Bytehawk
05-01-2003, 04:38 PM
I remember seeing something about the guys responsible for tron doing the video for 'money for nothing'

kevman3d
05-02-2003, 05:06 AM
I dunno about that - Ian Pearson, who later created Reboot, and MainFrame, is touted as working on that one...

In fact, you can even download the music video (among a TONNE of snippets from Reboot promos, for old and NEW series) right here:

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/download/reboot.php

Enjoy!