PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Lightwave and Poser

Blaine Holm
06-11-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm trying to sell a local company on LightWave, and I'm not really familiar with the other apps this person is asking about. Can anyone help? : :D Mucho thanks!

We now want to create scenarios with 3d characters for my next project. The
models need to speak, and I would like to have flexibity with how they look
like. I need the files to export to Flash so our learners do not need to
download a player, and ideally be able to manipulate the character animation
further in the Flash environment.

Our training is online, so low file size is a high priority.

My other priority is fast production time. I am the only graphic designer
to do this with a short amount of time.

I am trying to find the right tools for the job and then I need to sell that
decision to my directors.

I have been looking at Poser (so that I don't have to create models from
scratch) and I recently discovered Mimic, which I understand is a plug in
for Lightwave. I am thinking that I also need a 3D environment as well to
create rooms, and backgrounds for my mini-movies and interactive animations.

Can you tell me why I should go with Lightwave and Poser with Mimic instead
of 3ds Max?
Also, is there a modeling tool better than Poser that I can use with
Lightwave?
The other option I see before me is to get Poser's Shade. Why not that?

MikeFrHoweTx
06-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Blaine Holm from Video Hardware Services, LLC Wrote:

>I need the files to export to Flash so our learners do not >need to download a player, and ideally be able tomanipulate >the character animation further in the Flash environment.

and

>Our training is online, so low file size is a high priority.
>My other priority is fast production time. ***I am the only >graphic designer**** to do this with a short amount of time.
:eek:
I can only tell you Blaine if you are the “only graphic designer” and apparently know LW and need rapid high-class animations for online training that will be delivered to a Flash programmer or Flash graphical designer, don’t bother with Poser or their lip sync programs. Poser models are dated, boring and have polygon artifacts. I would use LW with a Daz3d.com model or create you own, then disassemble it into PNG parts so your Flash programmers can use Actionscript 2.0 functions and Flash’s timeline as a NLE. Your Poser animation will be too large for even DSL.

Blaine you will be confused as this guy below (and me on my present project) , if you don’t Keep It Simple
http://jibjab.com/43.html
Or buy the book “New Masters of Flash” volume 3 for some ideas to work with the Flash people.

You might suggest to your Flash programmers that don’t realize the Flash import file size problem they seem to asking of you (or quality unless they use FCS for streaming Low BW) to use lip sync in Flash with or without streaming as audio is more web BW friendly.
http://www.lipsync-mx.com
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/articles/lipsync_macrochat.html

CU and G-luck. Mike :o

Silkrooster
06-11-2005, 06:08 PM
don’t bother with Poser or their lip sync programs. Poser models are dated, boring and have polygon artifacts. I would use LW with a Daz3d.com model or create you own,
Careful, this can be very confusing, because Daz models are Poser models.
Actually these characters are in the obj format. Also most DAZ models are created with Lightwave. Just too bad they don't sell them in Lightwave format.

Sounds like they are trying to make training videos. Having poser is a good way to "start out" because the is such a vast variety of models to choose from. There are some plug ins available to help bringing poser scenes into Lightwave.
I would also recommend that they also have camtasia studio which not only is a screen capture program, but can edit videos and can save to multiple video formats including flash. Offer to either include Macromedia Flash at the same time or down the road for added features. You could also offer training material, from Dan Ablan or SplineGod.
Remind them that Mimic is available for either Poser or Lightwave. Leave them literature for VT4. Who knows maybe a later sale. This helps to leave the door open for you. Remind them that LW works with VT4.
Leave a price guide with them, that includes supplies like CD's, DVD's, VHS tapes, cables. Anything you can think of to make you their supplier.
Show them a demo of what LW can do and Aura if you have it. Let them see how Hypervoxels and dynamics can helps make their video's pop. Include a segment that includes Poser characters and perhaps some LW characters either of your own or some that come with LW.
Make sure you put plugins on your price guide, explain to them why they may want fprime or sasquatch in the near future.
Well, I suppose I could keep going on and on. But this should give you a few ideas.
Good luck with your sale.
Silk

Blaine Holm
06-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone...!

MikeFrHoweTx
06-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Silkrooster wrote:

>Careful, this can be very confusing, because Daz models are Poser models.
>Actually these characters are in the obj format. Also most DAZ models are created with
>Lightwave. Just too bad they don't sell them in Lightwave format.

Matthew 26:34 - Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

I just had a feeling as I posted last night, that I would be caught before this Sunday morning denying the true “Poser Holy Spirit”. My apologies fellow Poser followers, Steve Cooper (the sacrificial son) and the blessed Larry Weinberg (the creator). My original MetaCreation’s Poser disk is frowning down on me now from my shelf. I realize Daz’s LightWave Models have contributed to Poser since about version 3 or 4(?); however Daz is now promoting their beta “Daz Studio” and at present will NOT allow their models into LW other than the Poser route (correct surfaces, bone rigging etc) as they do with XSI or Max(see below link), probably from a legal issue with the old Poser Pro Pack to LW related to prior knowledge of the software methods in their previous cooperation with Poser? Eample of XSI’s “pCharacter Import for XSI” below:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=3375&refid=141256014

I just haven’t seen ONE successful training method using the above concept outside of 3d animators that seem to tolerate long download times or QT tutorials that can be cut in 1/10 with other technologies like Flash. Studies have shown you loose your audience after just a few seconds waiting for poorly optimize web animations (that must render a whole character or download huge-poor CODECs etc); to say nothing of the monotonous look of even the best 3d characters. Not that it can’t be used successfully, just not without other methods; such as live conversation, RDBMS for tracking progress of users etc. The same evolution that has occurred in the Data Processing fields the last 60 years from assembler>basic>COBOL>C>Java> to the most used today, HTML, Flash ActionScript, PHP, Java, RDBMS is NOW occurring in the employee training methods and the entertainment field. Example, I’ve known many COBOL programmers that have not adapted to the new programming languages and lose their jobs or just do maintenance work. I’m seeing the same in most fields including 3d animation and entertainment, however LW is a basic creation tool and I see a long future; it is just that sometimes we artist fall in love with our methods, software and artistic creations as the world turns past us. Having Daz complete with Poser’s dying product is just exacerbating http://www.e-frontier .com demise and the underused method of online training with “Poser type Lip Sync”.

The bottom line is; Blaine and his contractor need to have a understanding of the present best methods of delivering “WWW On Line Training” and then seek the correct tools, skills and people for that job; not sell the tools first and the user satisfaction last. At present the biggest companies are going with Macromedia’s Flash, Breeze and the total "Flash Platform” like Sony http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2004/breeze_so-net.html.
I’m 109% sure Flash 8 “Maelstrom” will take it’s new graphic engine and video CODEC from http://on2.com to greater inter-usability for 3d animators and graphic professionals that know the programs optimization.
Even http://www.macromedia.com uses it to train us developers!

I wish all of you success with your animation methods, as you are more into 3d knowledge than I am and know your tools better, which could lead you to greater chances of success as new technologies sprout. However this Sunday’s AM rant while trying to watch my favorite TBN pastors, just geared me up for a really Long-Long-Long bike ride to get away from this computer. :o

CUandGoodLuck;
Mike ();

mayTheFlashBeWithYou () {
peaceBeWithYou = true;
}