PDA

View Full Version : frozen alive

neilp
06-11-2005, 06:40 AM
I have just installed norton internet security on my pc and run it as it was installed. The thing is that since installing this LW freezes at launch if my pc is online. if I disconnect and go offline LW launches and runs just fine.....any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Sastira
06-11-2005, 11:17 AM
It is most likely the Norton firewall preventing Modeler, Layout and the Hub from accessing the internet.

Norton views them as a potential threat because they act as a server. However, they only serve on the localhost (your computer) and don't actually communicate with the internet... they just use the same method to talk to each other.

Add rules in your firewall that allow the Hub, Modeler and Layout full access to the internet and you will be fine.

Darksuit
06-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I just switched out from Norton to AVG seems to run with less overhead. But it does sound like you are having a firewall problem.

handron
06-13-2005, 04:10 PM
I had Norton also, although I stopped using it, and had the same problem. It is the Firewall portion of Norton that is giving you a problem. The two ways to work with it is 1. Add Lightwave to the list of programs that have permission to use the internet (sometimes it works and sometimes this doesn't) 2. Shut down Norton, start Lightwave's Layout or Modeler, then turn Norton back on for protection. Hope that helps. :)

-NG-
06-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Haven't you been prompted to allow or disallow LW to connect to the internet? You have to give them acces to the internet, Norton blocks it if it freezes, it takes a bit longer to start up the hub when using Norton.

neilp
06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Thanks for alll of you advice, the method I have found to work correctly is to configure Norton as below:

1. personal firewall section, (program pulldown) allow internet access for hub, layout and modeller.

2. intrusion detection section, (exceptions button) enter your own computers I.P. address into field.

3. to find I.P. address follow link
http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/041498I.html
you don't have to use this one, type into google search 'find i.p. address' loads of sites will tell you.

4. voilla, hey presto, and all that stuff.