PDA

View Full Version : APPLE laptop and the Tricaster

badbonz
06-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Ok, I know the iVGA disc is only for a PC to work with the tricaster (which I still can't get to work). I just can't get it to show up in the tricaster window.

Can an apple laptop be used with the tricaster...via svga? or any other way?

thanks,

Mike D

ldituri
06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I just can't get it to show up in the tricaster window.

How are you connected? (Tricaster to PC)
You must use a hub!

Can an apple laptop be used with the tricaster...via svga?
NO you need the client (for windows) running on the laptop.

davechalmers
06-13-2005, 02:22 AM
I just can't get it to show up in the tricaster window.

How are you connected? (Tricaster to PC)
You must use a hub!

Eh, why would that be?
If you are using a crossover ethernet cable, there should be no need for a hub.

Can an apple laptop be used with the tricaster...via svga?
NO you need the client (for windows) running on the laptop.

Indeed no. Which is a shame, given the preponderance of Mac laptops in 'creative' environments where tricaster fits well otherwise.

I would encourage Newtek to either:

- develop an OSX client themselves
or
- make the tech specs available to allow a 3rd party to develop one.

I know that if the PC client uses low-level tricks to maximise performance on the windows platform, then this might be tricky, but I suspect that even a 'sub-optimal' performing client on OSX would be a LOT better than none, when a client turns up at an event with a Mac laptop and asks why they can't use it!!

Regards

Dave

badbonz
06-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Wow...this is very much a downer seeing as my boss really believes in and uses a Mac for everything. Almost the entire office is Mac based. Not to mention he has 2 Apple Powerbooks that he has his video and presentation files on, that he wanted to use with the tricaster.

So that's a known fact? You can't use the tricaster with an Apple laptop or any Apple computers? Yet.

Thanks for the input.

Mike D

Tarheel Cougar
06-13-2005, 01:14 PM
I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but don't the Mac laptops have regular S-Video outputs that you can use as one of the three sources (the old fashioned way), which skips the whole IVGA and network issues? It may not be as clean especially when used with a projector but for the right application why not?

davechalmers
06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but don't the Mac laptops have regular S-Video outputs that you can use as one of the three sources (the old fashioned way), which skips the whole IVGA and network issues? It may not be as clean especially when used with a projector but for the right application why not?

Yes, good point Tarheel - you could do it this way. The S-Video out on most mac Laptops is pretty reasonable as computer video outs go.
(You can get a dongle for the iBooks too to give SVideo out)

See my other thread on VNC above for a different hypothetical workaround which may or may not work well.

Regards

Dave

badbonz
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks you all for the help and input. I had thought about the s-video before since it is such an easy hook-up but was told that an Apple laptop won't work with the tricaster, so I sort of got discouraged.
I will however try it and see how it goes.

I'll post my results when I get to test it out.

Thanks again.

Mike D