PDA

View Full Version : VT as a router and External Control

chriscj
04-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi all (and Paul),

got to thinking this morning of something to do with our VT2 while it's not in use (which is most of the time) and though of using it as a routing switch between our edit systems and various decks. Seems like a great idea, I've drawn out the schematic and because of the variety of outputs per channel will actually allow me to simplify some of the existing wiring.

Then I hid on a problem. Deck control. The manual is rather vague on the external control, so I decided to do some experimenting, but have been thwarted. Under the deck menus I have Comms 1-4, BOB 422 1-3 on Comm1 and BOB 1-3 on Comm2. Obviously I want it via the BOB, but Comm1 or Comm2? Regardless, I've been through all and no matter what I select it goes back to none. Yes, the deck is connected and in remote.

Back to the experiment. RS422 is bi-directional, but I don't know how VT2 handles it? Can I, for example, trigger VT2 via RS422? And more importantly, can I pass it in on RS422:1 and out on RS422:2? Here's the issue: I can certainly connect a given deck to the RS422 out of the edit systems, but I gather that I'll have a 1-2 frame delay from the audio and video passing through the VT2, which means inaccurate prints. If this is a known and constant delay, I can compensate on the editors, but if not I'm in trouble. Otherwise, is there a way to pass this through the VT2 and hopefully adjust for the delay there?

I'd really like to find a way since I've now got a bee in my bonnet and the routing would be rather neat.

Take care,
Chris Cooke-Johnson
Creative Junction
Barbados

Faraz
04-26-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the Toaster delay changes depending on your sources.

Paul Lara
04-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Chris,
the remote only controls one deck at a time.

Also, be careful in referring to VT[2] as a 'router', since all connections on output are redundant program outs.

jcupp
04-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Also none of the documentation makes it clear but you need to run a standard serial cable from a comm port on your computer to the "Serial" connection on the SX-8. This is the reason for the comm port settings n the external control panel. You need to run the audio through the Toaster to delay it to match the video.

ScorpioProd
04-30-2003, 04:14 PM
And remember, though the Toaster is very clean, you're still making your signal go through an A/D and D/A for NO REASON other than routing.

I honestly wouldn't want to do that to a signal.