PDA

View Full Version : spnsrvnt.exe - Sentinel Pro - eating up CPU resources

kiwisheep
06-10-2005, 12:23 AM
I noticed this process is taking 100%CPU. I'm experiencing massive slow down on my computer. Is this supposed to do this? I'm using LW 8.3 on Win2K SP4 with a dongle using a parallel port. The problem is even when I'm not using LW8, this process is running all the time and is using up my CPU resources. My video editing and rendering had to compete with CPU resources from this stupid process. How do I disable this process when I'm not using LW? I tried to uninstall this but the Administrator account don't even have the privilege to remove it. I'm so tempted now to uninstall LW8 and go back to LW7.5. Please help me.

JamesCurtis
06-10-2005, 07:00 AM
My Sentinel Pro file spnsrvnt.exe is enabled at startup and DOES NOT use hardly any CPU power. Using 100% of your resources would be quite unusual. You might check to see if there are any viruses or spyware/malware on your system. Things like this can play havok with a machine's operation. You might also consider contacting Sentinel about your problem. I'm running LW8.3 and no problems at all.

evenflcw
06-10-2005, 11:57 AM
I have a habit of disabling services that really doesn't need to run. The sentinel service, spnsrvnt.exe, seems to be one of them. I'm running LW8.3 (on win2k) just aswell without it as with it. To disable it, just right-click the My Computer icon, select Manage, then Services and Applications > Services and locate "Sentinel Protection Server" in the list to the right. Double-click the entry to change it's properties and set Startup type to Disabled (Manual might work fine aswell and will let you start and stop the service as you'd like).

RcDugan
07-03-2005, 05:09 PM
I have also experienced this problem and have reported it. However, Sentinel support is unable to duplicate it and now I am unable to duplicate it. I will send them a link to this site and maybe this will result in a solution. As for a workaround, I found that if I stop and restart the service, Windows Firewall complained about spnsrvnt.exe wanting to act as Internet server. If I clicked "allow" all was OK; If "deny", it started to suck up all the CPU. Today, I could not get it to misbehave, but it sounds like they have a subtle bug since not all users experience this all the time.

LSlugger
07-03-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm with evenflcw: as far as I can tell, I have no processes associated with the dongle. If you do a custom install, you can choose drivers only. Although I have the USB dongle, I did have to include the parallel port drivers.

FOCO
02-04-2007, 07:16 AM
I would like to use a COP connection program with this SuperPro key.
At home it works with 0 recourse, but in the office where we have AMD and Intel based computers also, it goes 100% on all computers. At home I have a dual core AMD64 with 32bit windows XP, at the office I have AMD64 with 32 windows XP. This "spnsrvnt.exe" is very tricky.
I already checked: - firewall settings, net settings, Virus, spyware,
Any ideas more?

m.simpson
01-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Just got the same error after reinstalling 9.3 with the latest sentinel drivers. As I don't need any of the network license managers, I downloaded the sentinel 7.4.0 drivers and reinstalled them (modify) and JUST installed the usb drivers as that's my type of dongle and it seems to stop the problem. I think you can do the same though add remove programs in the control panel and select the sentinel protection app from the list and then select change and then modify and toggle the installation for the license servers so that they are removed. Hope this might help someone. mike.