PDA

View Full Version : how do you drop a shader?

06-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Ok, this is probably a minor issue.
I have surfaced an object with several shaders.
I've decided to delete a shader from my shader list on the shader editor.
Uh--- how do you drop a shader from the list?

John Fornasar
06-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Right click the shader and select "Remove"....
(or highlight the shader in question and hit the Edit button and select Remove)

06-09-2005, 09:16 PM
when I right click the surface name all I get is the dialog box that says "copy"/paste.
I may be doing this wrong.
I'm trying to do this from the surface list of the surface editor.
If I click on the shader in the shader window of the surface editor I get a list
of choices but none hint at removal.

John Fornasar
06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Are you trying to remove a Surface Name? a surface texture?
Shaders are in the Shaders tab of the Surface Editor, (such as Fast Fresnet, etc) but from your last post I don't think that you mean a shader in LW terms.

just in case - surface names are assigned in Modeler, and that's where you will have to change or remove them. (if you are using the Hub, and delete or rename the surface, it'll remain in LW until the object is reopened.

If you are referring to the "T" (texture) button, Shift-Clicking will deactivate it and remove any settings in the Texture Editor

.. any of this help?

06-09-2005, 09:53 PM
I've given the object a surface name.
If you open the surface editor and you look straight at the "surface name"
I have and object name, and a list of surface names underneath.
I'm unable to reorder them or delete any one of them.
I hope that makes sense.

jasonwestmas
06-09-2005, 10:08 PM
If the surface is not applied to any polygons, that surface will disappear the next time you open up the object file.

06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
tomorrow.
I guess it's one surface per polygon name or group.

John Fornasar
06-09-2005, 10:17 PM
OK...

you can't "remove" a surface name... you can only "rename" a surface.

What you need to do (in Modeler - surface names and settings belong to the object, even when you adjust them in Layout)

select the surface that you want to to rename (the easiest way is to use the Polygon Statistics window - press "w" to open it).

Make sure you are in Polygons mode and scroll down the "Surf:" list... select the surface name, and click on the + sign on the left.

Now press "q" to open the Change Surface window, and either rename the surface by typing a new surface name in, or scroll down the list and select another surface name that you previously created.

06-10-2005, 06:43 AM
that makes sense..
I'll be more careful next time...
thanks.

jasonwestmas
06-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention that you need to reassign the polygons to a new surface and then save the object file. To reassign you just press the 'q' key with the polygons selected and then select a new surface or make another one by entering a new surface name. After the polygons have been reassigned to the surfaces you want to keep, the surface that you are no longer using will be deleted the next time the object is opened. Just remember to save the object file after you have reassigned the surfaces of the polygonal object.

06-10-2005, 07:51 PM
this will help plenty!