PDA

View Full Version : Objects moving on their own?

Brian Dumas
06-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't really think of a way to search the forum for this specific problem.

I'm running LW 8.2, on a G5 Dual 2Ghz, with OS 10.3.7.

Lately the objects in my scenes have been moving on their own when I close a scene or click on Abort or Continue following a render.

Example: I set up a scene containing more than one object, I position the objects, set up the light(s), position the camera, etc. Then render the scene, noticing the lighting isn't doing what I hoped it would I hit the Abort button in the render status window. It stops rendering alright, but it also moves random objects (lights, models, whatever) back to the origin. Now I have to rebuild the scene. Locking said objects, or saving after positioning everything has no effect on this new feature.

This happens to files built on my machine and files coming from others on the team.

I'm this close (imagine thumb and forefinger veeeeery close together) to reinstalling, but the last time I did that it took a few days to work out the license key issues the machine was having. I'd rather not repeat that whole rigmorale if I can help it.

Anyone ever encountered this amusing work stoppage?

toby
06-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Are you setting a keyframe for your objects / lights after you move them?
Do you know how to set up your auto-key options?

Brian Dumas
06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Are you setting a keyframe for your objects / lights after you move them?
Do you know how to set up your auto-key options?

No idea how to set a keyframe.
However, this isn't an animated scene, it's totally static. This is supposed to be a still photo of some packaging.

I've done this hundreds of times in the past in exactly the same manner without any difficulty. In the last week or so LW has started moving things around.

It's entirely possible my machine is being beligerent, I'm just trying to diagnose properly before doing anything drastic.

Thanks for your time.

Wonderpup
06-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Brian,

It may be worth checking that the 'autokey' button at the bottom of layout is active- it's on by default so you may never have thought about it, but if it's been turned of then Lightwave will not 'remember' where you move things unless you tell it to by explicitly setting a keyframe for each object.

Brian Dumas
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Brian,

It may be worth checking that the 'autokey' button at the bottom of layout is active- it's on by default so you may never have thought about it, but if it's been turned of then Lightwave will not 'remember' where you move things unless you tell it to by explicitly setting a keyframe for each object.

Good information, thanks.
Unfortunately that didn't help it. Now the problem has actually gotten worse. Now when I bring in a subsequent object, any previous objects that were already in the scene jump back to the origin.

Anyone got a tip on what to do (other than bringing in a bat)?

toby
06-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Someone may have turned off 'Auto-key create', and you must have the slider on a keyframe for auto-key to work if so.

Try setting a keyframe - with the object selected, hit return, that brings up a window where you can set what you want keyframed and where, default sholud be ok so just hit return again. If you select multiple objects it will key all of them.

You'll find auto-key options in the general options panel. Turn on 'all modified channels' and you should never have a problem again.

Brian Dumas
06-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks toby, that took care of it.
You're a life (and hair) saver.