PDA

View Full Version : We need a sticky!

somnambulance
06-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Moderators, it seems like every few weeks we are getting people in here that woke up one morning and decided they want to make a 3D game without having any knowledge of 3D modeling, texturing, animation, programming, or game engines. They come to this section with basic questions that would require hours of explanations of theory and technique that we would all like to answer, but simply cannot be answered by anyone who has something, anything else to do in their life.

I propose that we add a sticky with some resources for these people so this forum will be more progressive with legitimate questions rather than being the broken record of shuddered hopes of which it is now.

Lamont
06-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Let's just start a new thread with the resources.

somnambulance
06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I suppose I could, but it wont be sticky

Lamont
06-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Chuck'll do it.

somnambulance
06-09-2005, 09:27 PM
I suppose now I have to start gathering some resources... darn it... everyone who knows something better throw in your 2 cents!

I will post a couple things that I have been preaching.

somnambulance
06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Now that I have jotted some info down I am thinking it should be a bit more general to shove people in the right direction on how to get started. Let them know the process and then provide some resources where they can get further information. What do you think?

Myagi
06-09-2005, 11:02 PM
I'd simply direct them to more appropriate sites than this, like

www.gamedev.net
www.flipcode.com
www.gamasutra.com

odds are high that those kinds of questions have been asked there plenty of times :)

somnambulance
06-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I'd simply direct them to more appropriate sites than this

I think those links should be part of the resources, but I think it would be good to provide beginners some information on how to incorperate Lightwave into games here in this forum. Plus they would probably still ask if you just directed them somewhere else.

Myagi
06-10-2005, 08:17 AM
I think it would be good to provide beginners some information on how to incorperate Lightwave into games here in this forum

If the question is specifcially about how to incorperate LW into the game content creation pipeline then I agree, that fits into this forum.

I just meant the "how do I make games" and "how do I learn programming" type of questions, that have nothing to do with LW in particular. I don't know if those are the kinds of posts you were referring to, I just got that impression.