PDA

View Full Version : Creating my own Overlays

badbonz
06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know how to create overlays? I have been altering the present ones by copying the folder of the overlay I want to use as a template so I don't destroy the orignal file and folder.

I am basically just opening the original files (tga and jpg) in photoshop and dropping my new images over them and resizing the image to match the original and saving them as the same file (or renaming the file and changing the name in the script).

The files show up but I'd like to be able to not have editable text on some of them. Especially the 'logobugs'. I just want my image and no text at all.
However, the logobugs look so small when I replace them... I'd like to make them bigger than what they are. How can I increase the size so the tricaster still understands what to do with the files?

Anyone else been messing around with this stuff? Love to hear your thoughts.

thanks.
Mike D

argon
06-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Hey Mike D,

Inside the template folder you'll see a toasterscript. Every template has one. This toasterscript contains all the text information and changable images. For example, inside the LogoBugs, the script will contain a command to load the default logo image. Lets break this down:

The actual command:
NewWarpedImageItem(1, 72, 697, 300, 300, "c:\mycoollogos\barkingdog.jpg")

"1"
This is the "ID" of the item. In this particular script, it doesn't mean much but if we wanted to use more commands with this same item, we would keep the "1" together. If we wanted to add a second item to the template such as another image, or maybe some text, we would increment this number... such as "2".

"72, 697,"
This is the starting position coordinates in (X,Y format) of the item.

"300, 300"
This is the pixel diminsions of the item. In this case, the logo bug. 300 x 300. If you wanted this to be larger, simply up the pixel res... to say 600 x 600 (or whatever). Keep in mind that if your actual logo image file is only 300 x 300, then it will begin to stretch the image making it look worse than original quality.

"c:\mycoollogos\barkingdog.jpg"
This is of course the location to the "default image" which will show when the template is added to the list.

hope this helps! Happy template making.

-
argon

badbonz
06-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks Argon,
that does clear things up a bit.
Also, would you know how to make the images look cleaner in the 'Live' window? When I bring images in, it looks sort of stretched out and some don't look very clean.

How far from the edge should I create an image to keep it in the title safe areas on the screen?

Thanks again for the help.

Mike D

argon
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Are you talking about bringing images into the Overlays using the InsertImage FullPage template? or are you talking about bringing images into the Picture Playlist?

-
argon

badbonz
06-09-2005, 04:28 PM
hmmmm....

I have tried that InsertImage FullPage template to bring in images and that's when they sort of looked distorted.
Is the picture playlist the folder that has the guitar, eye and black and blue starburst looking image in it? No I haven't tried to put the images in there...would I put them there too? Would they become overlays?

also, is I am putting them in a copy of a logo folder...ex: TopRight_Large. I just replace the images in the folder that I created (so I didn't ruin the 'original' image files).

thanks again.

Mike D

argon
06-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Using the InsertImage FullPage template will stretch your image to fit the screen. So, if your image is not 4:3 aspect ratio, it will cause the distortion you are seeing. If you want your image to fill the screen (and not stretch) you will need to go into a paint program and crop the image so that it is 4:3 aspect ratio. There is a trick though you can do. If you pull up the InsertImage FullPage toaster script you will see this command:

NewWarpedImageItem

This command will "warp" the image to fit the screen. Or better known as "Stretch to Fit". There is an alternate command you can use that will not stretch to fit. This:

NewImageItem

This command will simply throw the image up onto the screen centered.

The Picture playlist is a separate thing from the Overlay. It is not used to overlay your graphics or pictures onto video. However, I guess you could via the Keyer.

-
argon

badbonz
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Not to sound too lame, how do you create images to be 4:3 aspect ratio compliant?

Also, should I be replacing the image tga and jpg files in the folder or just the script code...or both?

What is the proper way to create a usable overlay or image? Does everything pretty much have to have script?

thanks.
Mike

badbonz
06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
What if I don't want text over my image at all? How do you adjust the script for this? Looks like all scripts that have the text areas...and if I just delete the text part, the script doesn't work and the image doesn't show up.

Seems like every image needs to have it's own folder with it's own script in it...is that accurate?

Is there a simple way to apply this command:
NewImageItem

and does it have to be applied to all the scripts you don't want to stretch that 'you' create?

Thanks again.
Mike

argon
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
let me spend some time putting together a tutorial and some docs on this subject. maybe this will shed more light on it for everyone.

-
argon

badbonz
06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks Argon for all the help,

You Rule!

Mike D

Cineman
06-10-2005, 12:43 PM
The files show up but I'd like to be able to not have editable text on some of them. Especially the 'logobugs'. I just want my image and no text at all.

thanks.
Mike D

What if I don't want text over my image at all? How do you adjust the script for this? Looks like all scripts that have the text areas...and if I just delete the text part, the script doesn't work and the image doesn't show up.

Thanks again.
Mike

Mike,

In both of these, it seems that you might have missed a key feature in TriCaster Templates. If you donít want a line of text for a given use, just open the template as if to edit the line, and instead, delete it. Voila! The text is gone from that line. You can save it in a Playlist that way. In fact, I have a Defaults Playlist for ones that I consistently use different. Iíll clone for additional ones in my show Playlist.

It is very fast, and little price to pay compared to having ones that will not allow as much print as I need, which is my usual problem.

Nes Gurley

badbonz
06-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks Nes.

I'll give that a try too :)

Mike D

tiff1967
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Say Paul

Anyword on the manual you were going to work on for creating live edit overlays.

Thanks
Bob

Paul Lara
06-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Finishing it up.
Please check your e-mail, Bob. ;)

Tarheel Cougar
06-23-2005, 12:52 PM
I have been "cannibalizing" some of the built in templates and sizes recently, replacing the images with ones imported from another CG platform and playing with the variables. I need to make some templates for some very soon remote events that match our regular graphics. I have had some success, but haven't had a lot of time to play with it so I am looking forward to the guide. Thanks for the hard work!

Jared