PDA

View Full Version : iVGA problem

stanbunger
06-08-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm guessing this is a problem that falls in the category of "the black art of networking", but here goes:

We've installed the iVGA client on a Windows XP laptop and have tried connecting it both directly to the TriCaster (using supplied crossover Ethernet cable) and with standard Ethernet cabling (through a switch). We have set both TriCaster and the laptop to the same workgroup and have given each a discreet IP address (for example, 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5)

Yet neither machine "sees" the other, and the TriCaster obviously can't pick up the screen capture signal via iVGA. Any thoughts? I should mention that I HAVE gotten iVGA to work before on a different workgroup which used DHCP to assign IP addresses; in this case, we don't have a DHCP server available to do that.

Bruce Braun
06-13-2005, 04:17 AM
I'm also sorta new at this but here's what I found out.
Install and run IVGA on your remote computer first, then:

1. Turn windows Firewall off (through Administration window)
2. Use a normal lan cable to your network
3. Assign the Tricaster computer a new name like "Tricaster"
4. Make sure the workgroup is the same
5. Set I/P properties to "obtain an address"
6. Reboot the Tricaster
7. Check available sources under VGA/Input sources
8. Select your remote computer that is running IVGA

What I've noticed is that you can not use any kind of motion video on the
remote computer since the IVGA thing seems to saturate the network connection.
Thus, the "say media player movie" will be very jercky on the Tricaster.

Bruce
www.brauns.net

Paul Lara
06-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Actually, it should never be necessary to turn off Windows' Firewall.

A couple things to check, Stan:

- that the computer name is less than 15 characters
- that you do not have other network interfaces (such as wi-fi) on that external computer enabled. iVGA looks for, and expects to use the 'default' network device, but if that turns out to be wireless, then it won't work.

Paul

PeteF
06-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Paul, what's up with wireless? Too small a bandwidth? Could I wireless connect the Tricaster to the labtop? Has that already been tested?

jcupp
06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I'v done this using a USB wirless adapter, works great, it's just a little slower.

Paul Lara
06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Paul, what's up with wireless? Too small a bandwidth?

The only issue here (to be fixed with an upcoming TriCaster patch) is that iVGA sends to your default network connection. Should that be wi-fi instead of the 100-base T network connection, then it won't be going to the right place.

NewTek has devised a much better method of TriCaster 'finding' the iVGA client out there, and will provide this to customers after some additional testing.

DonN
06-26-2005, 09:04 AM
I've now have had this non- connection trouble with two TriCasters and two laptops... so far no success getting a iVGA connection to the TriCaster. This is not a good situation for the novice video/computer/networking users that this product is targeted at...

I am not a novice and I can't figure it out so far.

Don