PDA

View Full Version : Designing.

Orb Games
06-07-2005, 11:35 PM
hi im making a game right as some of you know and i was wondering how to go about making each room i want to make a apartment building with lots of individual rooms and within each room some furniture so do i just make the room then some how add the furniture when and making the levels and areas (sort of a level like gta san andreas) or do i just make in as one big object.

P.S im looking for some people that can make me some free models like building and furniture plus characters.

Thanks, Nic

Emmanuel
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh Jesus, lennartthissen, is that You again :rolleyes: ?

Okay, I bite, You first deisgn the room, model it, lay out UVs, texture it, then You save it as a separate object and do the same steps for all the required other objects.
Then, in You engine or engine editor, You place the objects, and if You are they don't move, You create and bake a lightmap to give Your scene realistic appealing lighting.

No, I am not going to explain what UVs or lightmaps are.
Go to a beginners forum, there are plenty of these on the internet, to learn the basics, then come back for LW-specific questions.

somnambulance
06-08-2005, 02:06 PM
I say, (while kicking a dead horse) there is a book called 3D Game Programing all in one, it will teach you everything you need to know and it has a CD with all the software you need as well.

(while not kicking a dead horse) It has about 800 pages of information answering the questions you just asked.

somnambulance
06-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Oh, and here is a FREE model of a character I call Xob, enjoy! :)

Orb Games
06-09-2005, 12:58 AM
no it not who ever you thought it was im nic also i knoaw about that book but i dont have 80 bucks to spend soz bout asking questinos i also like to get real human feed back.

somnambulance
06-09-2005, 02:49 PM
If you dont have the money to buy a book that will teach you the basic principals of making a game then I think you are S.O.L., sorry. I really doubt that anyone will be willing to write those hundreds of pages just for you. It is obvious you dont even know the basics or you wouldnt even ask such a general question. The question you asked requires 30 questions to be asked back before it could be answered.

If you dont have the $80 for a book, then I really doubt you have the $1695 for a full version of Lightwave, which you will need to make a game.

You should read some of the other threads about game development, you could learn a bit.

It is a shame that threads like these keep poping up, because they always end up in the same discussion.

Orb Games
06-10-2005, 02:16 AM
well i have the time to learn and to save up. lol but these things are just what i need to know but dont worry i worked the question out i also am trying to work out the texture question as well.

somnambulance
06-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Well the book is really only $32.99 on Amazon.com and is worth every penny. You need to learn what UV maps are and how to create them. There are tutorials here on NewTek's website that would be helpfull. Personally I do my UV mapping in Modo.

Orb Games
06-12-2005, 03:40 AM
thanks i will try to save up for that book. it will take a lot of gozing surveys to do that.
while i save up could any body teach me about uv mapping?

somnambulance
06-12-2005, 12:14 PM
There are a bunch of tutorials here on Newteks website you can look through them all here (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html). Those tutorails will only help you a little bit. I found the book "texturing: concepts and techniques" to be very helpfull. It is on Amazon.com for $34.62, add it to your list. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584503009/qid=1118598587/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-1928385-8458503?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). There are also books that are more game texturing spesific.