PDA

View Full Version : Modeler8 top 10 feature req game

Ernest
04-26-2003, 03:22 AM
current top 10 as of June 19
01) N-Gon Subdivision Surfaces (116.67GP)
02) Face/Edge/Point Level Weighting (96.66GP)
03) 3D Paint for distortion/stretch/seam free textures (46.67GP)
04) Modeling History/Stack processing (50GP)
05) Interactive Skelegon & Weight-map Testing (35GP)
06) Edge modelling (30GP)
07) Precise viewport rotations (20GP)
08) Fixed uv mapping for sds (20GP)
09) Skelegons as complete bone definitions (16-2/3pts)
10) Layer pivot points that are rotatable, and allow for rotation limits (16-2/3GP)
others tied with 16-2/3 Points out of list due to order of appearance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since we're heading for the final laps of LW8's development, I thought we could make a final list of needed features for the developers to have a clearer idea of what we need during work.

This thread is ONLY for modeler features.

Layout already has a thread and can easily get another (feel free to copy the rules if you want).

The format is a little like a game (or at least the character creation of a game). Everyone gets 50 points. You can list as many features as you'd like to have in modeler (up to 50) and assign points from your stock to each requested feature. So if you really want a feature you can assign all your 50 points to it but then you wouldn't have points to assign to anything else.

Daily or weekly, depending on the # of participants, we can have a recount and list the top 10 according to the number of points.

So again the rules: A)please don't use more than 50 points -or the entire post wouldn't be counted for the top 10, B) please don't request Layout features (modeler only), C)you may add a description of your requested feaures in italics if you think they're not clear, D)and please don't request integration since it's not a modeller only feature -there can also be a "inter-modeler-layout workflow" thread with these same rules if you want but on a separate thread please.

Ernest
04-26-2003, 03:29 AM
I'll start:

precise viewport rotations 20GP
(that is, the ability ot rotate a viewport exactly "n" degrees from the orthogonal on only one axis -but any axis)

The usual everyday request(s) for "Snapping" 10GP

Ability to "hide selected" in only one viewport (or in all except one) 5GP

Display properties to become non-modal 5GP

Knife splines 5GP

Better symmetry mode 5GP
(that is ability to not have the mouse reversed and to "do" have vital geometry creation tools work in symmetry like "add point to poly", and 2 axis symmetry)

Dodgy
04-26-2003, 03:31 AM
How about.... a limiter for Weight maps for skelegons which only add up to 100% on any particular point?

Ernest
04-26-2003, 03:50 AM
For how many points? You may use as little as 1 and up to 50

Also remember that you can repeat requests of previous posts if you want to add more points to them.

Robert Zeltsch
04-26-2003, 06:05 AM
Hm...

N-Gon Subdivision Surfaces: 15 Points
Face/Edge/Point Level Weighting: 15 Points
like in C4D
Modeling History/Stack processing: 15 Points
More interactivity within the tools: 5 Points

;)

Anttij77
04-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Robert Zeltsch
N-Gon Subdivision Surfaces: 15 Points
Face/Edge/Point Level Weighting: 15 Points
like in C4D
Modeling History/Stack processing: 15 Points
More interactivity within the tools: 5 Points

I totally second that!!!

harhar
04-26-2003, 01:58 PM
you come up with an algorithm for that first.
The only subdivision algorithm I know are catmull clark(4 point polys) and loop scheme (3 point polys)

Ernest
05-02-2003, 10:14 PM
I'll move the top ten from here to the top for easier reference

I was wondering if we should also have an allotment of negative points to vote against the features we want NOT to have? Or being able to use your points either positively or negatively. I'd probably cast some pts against ngons since I fear that they'd make the subd's slower....

Psyhke
05-03-2003, 02:02 PM
- N-Gon Subdivision Surfaces (20GP)

- Alt key rotation that acts like the rotate icon (non spherical)(10GP)

- Some kind of beefed up interactive/smart points/polys SELECTION tool (like e.g. point rail selection with a visible, realtime adjustable selection feedback) (10GP)

- Some kind of beefed up interactive/smart points/polys MANIPULATION tool (with normal move, rotate and regular axis movement combined in one tool) (10GP)

Elmar Moelzer
05-04-2003, 01:55 AM
Interactive spline- patching- tools: 6 points.
Better backdrop- images with higher res: 5 points (you remember we already had that in W 5.6).
Degeneration of object on redraw- slowdown: 7 points (like in 5.6).
Mouse- questioning- order flipped (first button, then position): 10 points.
Better symetry: 5 points.
A wireframe- texture- view- mode: 3 points
And finally fix the zoom- bug and the transparency- bug: 14 points (or seven points each).
CU
Elmar

jin choung
05-04-2003, 03:03 AM
10 pts - face/edge/vert weighting sds
20 pts - fixed uv mapping for sds
10 pts - edge harden/soften (phong smoothing property - removed from being a surface property)
10 pts - UV as entity so we don't have weld/unweld on the verts

jin

Dangerman
05-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Skelegons as complete bone definitions - 16-2/3pts
IE: Bone rotation limits belong to the skelegon, not the scene.
IE: Skelegons can be parented in place as they are in layout.

Layer pivot points that are rotatable, and allow for rotation limits - 16-2/3pts

Nulls that belong to the model, rather than the scene - 16-2/3pts
IE: IK targets and goals arrive with the model rather than having to be created and stored in some foreign place.

hrgiger
05-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Edge Weighting (20pts)

3D Paint for distortion/stretch/seam free textures (30 pts)

julos
05-24-2003, 04:59 AM
Edge modelling : 30 pts (see meshtools for max or maya)
N-gon subdivision surfaces : 20 pts

WizCraker
05-24-2003, 03:52 PM
3D Paint for distortion/stretch/seam free textures [16.67 pts]
N-Gon Subdivision Surfaces [16.67 pts]
Edge Weighting [16.66 pts]

That equals 50 pts.

what are Knife splines?

Ernest
05-25-2003, 12:17 AM
knife splines meant that the knife tool works with splines (cutting them)
Julos, I added your edge modelling points to the edge weighting category; but I haven't used meshtools so if you meant something different and want a separate category, I'll separate it.

Qslugs
05-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Integration- 25 points
Edge support- 20 points
Multi undo's- 05 points

With edge support you would have to suoport more than 4 vertices on a poly btw. You would end up making 5 pint polys all the time using things like edge splitting tools.

I am positive that if integration did happen that most of our requests would vanish.

Alex - S&D
05-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Interactive Skelegon & Weight-map Testing - 35 points
Being able to "activate" and test skelegons and weight maps in modeler. Also allows for changing weight-maps while in active mode, giving live results.

Total Skelegon Options Setting - 15 points
Any option/setting you can set for Bones should be set-able for Skelegons.

Ernest
05-31-2003, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure if I can tab in the request for multi-undos. Modeler has 128 which IS multiple. Is there a specific number you meant..? There is a request for a history stack. Do you want to add your multi-undo points to that?

Sorry, I had to ignore your 20 points for integration because... well... because it's against the rules :(

I am positive that if integration did happen that most of our requests would vanish.
errr... this was the top 10 when you posted this:
01) Face/Edge/Point Level Weighting (106.66GP)
02) N-Gon Subdivision Surfaces (86.67GP)
03) 3D Paint for distortion/stretch/seam free textures (46.67GP)
04) Modeling History/Stack processing (30GP)
05) Precise viewport rotations (20GP)
06) Fixed uv mapping for sds (20GP)
07) Skelegons as complete bone definitions (16-2/3pts)
08) Layer pivot points that are rotatable, and allow for rotation limits (16-2/3GP)
09) Nulls that belong to the model, rather than the scene (16-2/3GP)
10) The usual everyday request(s) for "Snapping" (10GP)

Of those, the only one that has anything to do with integration is #7. (Not even #9 because, even if they're integrated, the file formats aren't affected.)

julos
05-31-2003, 06:58 AM
Ernest, no i personnaly think that edge weighing is useless, what i meant by edge modelling is the ability to select edge (and move, extrude, cut, connect edges etc...).
Edge modelling is the best in poly modelling (see wings, mirai, max with meshtools, maya with poly tools etc...).

GoodieBR
06-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Well, this is my first post ever, but I'll go directly to the point. The features I want the most in modeler are:

N-Gon Subdivision Surfaces -> 30 GP
Modeling History/Stack processing -> 20 GP

Please, keep LW cool! :D :D :D