PDA

View Full Version : Tubes, tubes, tubes!

DarrenGold
06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi folks,

I'm looking to create the attached shape (wheel guard). Can anyone help to get me started?

Cheers,

Darren.

Silkrooster
06-07-2005, 05:29 PM
The attached image was created using boolean subtraction and boolean add. With a little clean up, it could look like what you need. Well anyways, this is one way, and I am quite sure others will give you ideas for otherway to create this. There is always more than one way to create every thing.
Silk

pauland
06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Look at the basic shapes. The upright section is basically a cylinder with both ends rounded. You can consider the thicker part as a separate cylinder with a single rounded end that fits over the smaller one.

The upright cylinder has a cylinder shape cut out of it at right angles. Make a cylinder at right angles in another layer. Boolean subtract to cut out the shape. Finally make a short sylinder with thickness to form the housing around the castor.

With things like this always look at the basic shapes and how you can use separate parts together to cut or enhance the basic shape to get what you want. Naturally, there are several ways to create the castor and housing using LW.

HTH. (Silkrooster got there first, it seems!)

Paul

prospector
06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
HTH. (Silkrooster got there first, it seems!)

Yea, he's a LW genius ;)
cep't he fergot the mold marks... :D :D

Gonna have to demote him to LW Guru :rolleyes:

Silkrooster
06-07-2005, 07:10 PM
LOL, yea I thought I would just show a quick example. Besides Pauland explained it a little better.
Silk

DarrenGold
06-08-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi guys,

thanks for your replies.

I'd already understood and broken down the object (in it's most basic form) as two perpendicular cylinders, and although Silk's example works, it's not going to work as a SubD object... unless I'm not thinking clearly on this?

If you look at the 'tube' that guards the wheels, it fits flush to the sides of the upright cylinder. I guess Booleans are required for part of this but my problem is how to connect up the two cylinders so it works as a single SubD object. Boolean add will just join the geometry with too hard an edge.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Darren.

mattclary
06-08-2005, 05:51 AM
You shouldn't need to sub-d it.

DarrenGold
06-08-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi mattclary,

need to? Well, no... but I want to... :-)

As per my previous post, it will look better, especially at the joins. There must be a way.

Cheers,

Darren.

MooseDog
06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
it's not positively necessary to have an "airtight" model. if you can model the basic primitives and sort of slide them around so they look like they fit. fine. because if the render looks like they fit, it;s perfect modelling :p

mattclary
06-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I didn't boolean mine together. I don't think I ever use union.

prospector
06-08-2005, 12:21 PM
my turn to try

DarrenGold
06-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi prospector,

looks like you cracked it!

OK... so how... ;-)?

A nice mini step-by-step tute would be really, really handy right about now.

Cheers,

Darren.

prospector
06-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Hard to explain in short tut. but the jist of it was boxes,smooth shifting,bandsaw,and extend points.
Here's a breakdown shot

DarrenGold
06-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Prospector,

that looks really great, thanks! My problem is I can't look at something like that and figure out how it was done. Can you at least give me some hints? Where do start... and so on.

Sorry to be a pain... I'm sure there are lots of LW users who could look at those grabs and go 'ah, yes... I see'. I'm just not one of those users... :-(

Cheers,

Darren.

prospector
06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
The wheel is a box subdivided and smooth shifted on the ends to get rounded edges.

The leg is a box that was subdivided with metaform at 2, shaped then againsubdivided with metaform at 2,and shaped. Then deleting the polys where the tire goes I used extend on points to get the slight fender,then extended them around the tire in the background layer.
extended the top of it to get the leg height.
smooth shifted and stretched the leg collar.
the different colors are different surfaces so one would be smooth,one bumped and the mold flashing (the part silkrooster forgot :D :D ) is a band from bandsaw that was jittered in modeler then bumped in layout.

DarrenGold
06-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi,

OK... thanks for that. I'll have a play and see what I come up with.

By the way... what's Skype?

Cheers,

Darren

prospector
06-08-2005, 01:11 PM
By the way... what's Skype?
Internet free phone

prospector
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
I just read what I typed.......

As you can see, I don't do tuts well.
Without video of me doing it (which is beyond the download limit of Newtek) it's hard for me to get it across.
If anyone else can 'splain it better the be my guest

DarrenGold
06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Prospector,

yeah... I really appreciate that you've modelled this... and posted the grabs and explanation... but I just can't follow it. I'd need much more detail (step by step) than that. This is not your fault or resposibility of course... just my lack of experience.

Thing is I'm stuck unless I can see how this is built... :-(

Cheers,

Darren.

prospector
06-08-2005, 11:34 PM
lemme see if I can do some screen grabs.
OK, here I go, and hope this helps.

also obj included so you can go thru layers on 4 levels to see what each looks like.

on layer 1

Made the box, then super shifted twice, then bandsawed the sides to get sharper edges.

prospector
06-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Layer 2
The leg
made the box, then subdivided with (shift-D and metaform), moved to shape, then redid steps 2 and 3.
then removed polys and reshaped then added a poly on each side to fill hole (went from quad to a tri poly), then removed and reshaped somemore.

OOPS only 5 pics allowed

prospector
06-08-2005, 11:39 PM
last pic of set

prospector
06-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Layer 3
Wheel againoops wheel done :D :D

Layer 4
The fender

make polys here and do a smoothshift and size a bit smaller to make thickness of fender.
hilite these polys and do smoothshift then de-hilite 2 end polys and smoothshift again.

after smoothshifting and moving a few times you should end up like this.

prospector
06-08-2005, 11:53 PM
grab rows of points on top fo fender and stretch until they are in a straight line (make sure the mode is in ACTION CENTER-SELECTION), to stretch them in line just hold LMB down and in side view drag mouse down and left.

After doing all top rows you should end like this.

after doing bottom rows of points it should look like this.

now take care of ledge here.

After ledge is done(by removing offendong poly and rebuilding), It's time to check the wheel clearance.Move Points for fender so it aligns with background wheel, then bandsaw the highlited polys to get sharper edge.

After bandsaw it cleanup time. Move points to cleanup pinches or bumps.

prospector
06-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Arrg forgot to resize one :mad:

After cleanupselect top row of points.

Hit 'e' key then move points either up or resize as needed and finish off remembering to make poly junction where different surfaces are
bring them together and you can send to Layout, texture, and render.

Remember....object is in 4 levels with pic layers on each level.

prospector
06-08-2005, 11:59 PM
WHEW!! :eek: :D :D

And here is a cool place to learn some tidbits about the tools
http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/index.php

DarrenGold
06-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Hi Prospector,

... and CRIKEY! What can I say... but thanks a million for doing that in more detail! It'll really help no end.

I'll be looking at this in more depth later after work... I'll let you know how I get on.

Once again, thanks!

Cheers,

Darren.

DavidL
06-09-2005, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=prospector]
Layer 4
The fender

make polys here[QUOTE]

Prospector,
I just had a question about this step of closing up the hole. Could you possibly explain a bit more in depth about how you did it? I see how you have four point polys stretching across but can't see how you got them. Maybe even a closer screenshot, especially at the top of the hole. It would be a great help to me as I often find myself creating holes and then later needing to fill them. Thanks.

prospector
06-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Sure NP

If there's a hole in model that happened (sometimes when you highlite a poly in model when your close in, a poly somewhere else on model will highlite too :mad: ), I take the points around the hole (one that's not easy to select points) and drag them out of the way, hilite the points I need to and in direction needed to make poly (but don't make it yet..just select points), then I just undo untill I get back to corect shape, (points will stay hilited), then make poly.

DavidL
06-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Prospector,
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant the hole (with the red circle), that you filled (pictured with blue circle). I see how there are 4 point polys going across, but I can't tell how you closed the very top and bottom of the hole (with the arrows). Those look like there 5 point polys, that's where I'm confused.

Thanks

prospector
06-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Nope, they are just 3 point polys, I think I just wen't into non SubD mode and hilited points in a straight line tho I zoomed way in.Right where you see the heavy yellow line is the 3 pointer, and not part of the larger poly.

prospector
06-09-2005, 10:14 AM
here's a closeup

DavidL
06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Now I get it! I didn't see the teeny tine triangle hiding in there. Thanks so much for your help and quick response.