PDA

View Full Version : Capturing PPT live w/o network

PeteF
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
In cases were vga capture is needed and a network is not available, or unreliable, do I use the S-video in on the front panel? If so, how is quality of the capture? Anything I should know when I go to test?

I'm renting a unit in consideration for purchase, and will capture PPT live to a DV avi. This will save much work in post from having to manually sync slides as Tiff. Of course the live web feeds and network will be used, but the bulk of my work depends on this form of shortcut.

Thanks.

davechalmers
06-13-2005, 02:10 AM
In cases were vga capture is needed and a network is not available, or unreliable, do I use the S-video in on the front panel? If so, how is quality of the capture? Anything I should know when I go to test?
Thanks.

Hi Pete, if I understand your question right, you should know that, as I understand it, you don't need a 'network' as such to use the 'network-in' feature, just a crossover ethernet cable to connect the presenter's machine and the tricaster.

In effect you can create a 'private' network between the presenter PC and your tricaster, without any other hardware needed.
(heck, if the network card in the tricaster is HALF smart, you won't even need a crossover cable, just any old bit of Cat5 cable with plugs on the end! - worth checking this.)

You WILL have to manually set the IP addresses I guess, but that's pretty easy and you can use a 'makey-up' address, e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2.

Then you can run the applet on the presenter's PC as they present away (displaying on a proj or whatever) and you can be capturing everything that shows into the tricaster.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dave

PeteF
06-14-2005, 09:51 AM
That's my initial plan, just connection directly to the host pc, as I think XP allows for direct communication. (Maybe an issue with machines locked down by corporate policy, etc. Will see. Otherwise, I'll try the old s-video approach). I just picked up a copy of Faraz's Master Tricastor DVD and will do some review before rolling up my sleeves.

Thanks.

PeteF
06-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Welp, this Friday June 17th I've reserved a rental unit to play.. I mean conduct tests with. Despite all the HD hype, etc, and having a full blown VT, the tricaster fits an important niche for in-house corporate video capture, with respect to meetings and a host of projects that do not justify a session in post.

It's very expensive to conduct corporate in-house training. Having to fly folks in from around the world, and footing the food and lodge bill can be many times the cost of the hardware and webcast bandwidth. If it's "hands-on" product training by a trained technician, that's understandably justified. But if it's just getting the word out, or instruction on a new SOP -the tricaster advantage reigns supreme.

Well, that's my hopes, as I'll see this for myself on Friday.

Pete

PeteF
06-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Bit of mixup with the rental, someone else got a hold of it. I'll be picking it up today, and will test tommorrow.

DonN
06-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Is the fixed IP address method used for just two units ( no network) talking, and the crossover cable. IE ... .1 and ... .2 ???

I have yet to get the two, - TC and a laptop - to recognize each other, using the supplied crossover cat5 cable. .

Don