View Full Version : Springs & Things...

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Modeling a full size Newspaper mailbox - Like the ones on the street -
I have it in my studio and have modeled all the parts except for the
suspension springs on the door hinge.

I know that a texture map from a photo I can take would be the best
route, but let's just say I'm insane. What's the best way to make a spring
in LW7.5. I have done it using replicated helix shapes and rail extrusion in the
past, but there's gotta be a simpler way? Is there a plugin I'm missing?

Thanks!
The Monkey

nickej
06-05-2005, 08:41 PM
That sounds like the way to do it. Especially if you need to animate the spring. If you do, you can morph between versions made with tighter or looser helix-windings. If you just try to stretch the thing, the "wire" stretches as much as the spring.

prospector
06-05-2005, 09:24 PM
A most excellent plugin worth it's weight in gold (but don't tell programmer, the price might go up :D :D ) is Rope. (do a search and there is a big thread here about it.

Also a free (was) program called Spiral which also is most excellent as it would take any shape (either letters or numbers, commas, questinmarks, anything that can be typed on a keyboard )and make springs, spirals, horns, or whateve spiraled shape you want.

Ahh here it is;
http://www.armanisoft.ch/webdesign/spiralizer/Spiralizer.html

nickej
06-05-2005, 09:30 PM
You mught also try "Helix RTS" (flay.com, or Google it)as a plugin, rather than the odd LW Helix tool.

hunter
06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Make disc. and use the lathe tool. Play with the offset and end angle parameters. Also do a search on the forums for springs.

Paintmonkey
06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the insight, and any other suggestions are welcomed.

I generally find out that there was a quick way of doing something after the
job's done. Rope is a sweet pluggin (from what I've seen rendered), but I've run
out of budget for this project and the thing does not stretch or move, It's part of
a door hinge and would only need to rotate (in real life, but this is gonna be static.

May be best off creating an array of torroids and skewing them since the back side will be obscured by the hardware.

Always looking for a better way.

p_micah
06-07-2005, 02:04 PM
i say go with the lathe tool, you can use a box or a disk. open up the numeric window, type away untill you get the result you're looking for.