PDA

View Full Version : HELP. Major License Key Issues with 7.5d on OSX Tiger 10.4

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 06:06 PM
HELP ME PLEASE!

Read all the threads on why my USB dongle is giving me massive headaches for over 72 hours now. Running 7.5d on Dual 1.42 G4 osX 10.4.

I'm under tight deadline, so I should not have upgraded to Tiger (big mistake based on the fact that Apple has become like MS and begun releasing products before they are ready for market).

If anyone can tell me why 7.5 keeps telling me the Product Lock is not found.

- Tried TextEdit as Plain Text - Did not Work
- Tried BBEdit - Did not Work
- Tried Complete Reinstall - Did not Work
- Tried Simple Text - Did not Work
- Tried MakeLicense Script - Did not Work
- Tried Reinstalling Again - Did not Work
- TIRED OF CALLING NEWTEK EVERY 6 MONTHS TO FIGURE OUT WHY MY DONGLE IS BUGGING OUT. - Does not Work.

The most frustrating part is that I was modeling this to avoid the cost of a expensive product shoot - in the end this will cost twice as much because I will have to shoot anyway based on LW issues and unexplained crashes.

THANKS.

LSlugger
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
If I understand correctly, you had LightWave 7.5d installed on OS X 10.3, then upgraded to 10.4, and now the dongle is not recognized. I suspect that 7.5d inappropriately installed Eve3.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks, so that it was deleted after the OS upgrade. It belongs in /Library/Frameworks.

You can download the latest framework installer from the SafeNet support page (http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp).

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Many Thanks for responding & the link. Running 10.4 now, things like my P.I. CAD Keyboard just don't work on Tiger and I suspected there may be some new USB architecture.

Gonna try it now

I did reinstall Eve3 from my previous system's library, don't know if it was altered during the sentinel install I ran concurrent with one of the restores I tried.

Thanks.

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Tried the Sentinel software. No Dice.

I am getting the feeling like there may be something up with the cmdLine files (Hub, LW, Modeler). No text is in these files. Is that right?

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Moved the files to the Library/Frameworks from the System/Library/Frameworks
- That didn't work either.

avkills
06-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Did you make HFS+ case sensitive? If the answer is yes then rename the "License.key" document in all caps and see if it works. I had the same issue.

-mark

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for helping after hours.
Hope to get this solved before daybreak & calling Newtek and getting
this sorted.

Tried a whole bunch of different text 'Case sensitive' names & even using one vs. two carriage returns with the S/N.

License.Key
License.key
license.key
LICENSE.KEY

Still nothing - pulling out my luxurious locks in frustration.

Save my hair. Thanks.

avkills
06-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Hmmm... I installed the latest Sentinel Drivers and found that I needed to rename the license.key file in all caps. I also edited the key file from the Terminal using PICO since TextEdit seemed to mess it up.

-mark

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Mark,

What's PICO? honestly I only know my way around cmdline enough to build a farm or do minor maint.

Thanks,
Jordan

avkills
06-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Make sure you are running as admin and open the terminal (be careful).

type pico into the cmd line... then navigate in the finder to where the license.key file is and drag it on to the Terminal window, then click on the terminal window bar (make sure it is focused) and then hit enter

use the arrow keys to scroll down and change the license number. then type CTRL-O and hit enter (this writes it back to disk). Then type CTRL-X (exits Pico).

You are done. If you have iChat and have more questions, I'll open it up (MarkBeazley32).

-mark

Paintmonkey
06-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the briefer in Pico. It all worked, but I still cannot get this out of discovery edition.

Don't have iChat, and I think I'm gonna pack it in for the night so I can figure out how I'm gonna get this done tomorrow. I have to do the fine modeling tomorrow, since Discovery limits you to 400 Pts. Per Layer.

I'm just a bit peaved that I have to call NT in the morning. While I have received o.k. service from them in the past, their release notes and Read me files are poor, if published at all & a few instances where they told me everything (I followed precisely from the manual) was wrong, and directed me to creative cow which had the corrected info.

THANK GOODNESS FOR ALL THE SUPPORTIVE USERS WHO HELP ON THE FORUM!

LSlugger
06-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Just a few shots in the dark, here.

You don't want multiple copies of Eve3.framework. I guess it doesn't hurt, unless one of them is broken. I forget the default search order for frameworks. I think it's /System/Library/Frameworks, /Library/Frameworks, then ~/Library/Frameworks. It should work in any one of those places, but the correct place is /Library/Frameworks.

Check the System Profiler (Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info). You should see a USB Token entry.

You don't, by chance, have more than one key in License.key, do you? If so, I've found that LightWave only recognizes the first key, unless you use old Mac-style carriage return line endings.

Paintmonkey
06-06-2005, 08:48 AM
O.K., so I loaded up my iPod with objects (still nothing over 400pt. - working under the limitations of Discovery Ed. this weekend) and headed to my other office this morning.

Brought the dongle with me.
Plugged it In.
No problems.

Now I am really perplexed because the two machines I work on are identical in most respects (G4 DP 1.42 - both upgraded to Tiger and both maxed out with everything).

Gonna try copying the 'License.Key' (that's exact) files from the working machine and hope that I don't spend the day on the phone with techs.

Let you know how it works.
At least I have one machine that's working right now.
Thanks.

Paintmonkey
06-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Copied the License.Key file from my other office and loaded the back-up configs and cmdline files too to my iPod.

Fortunately both machines are configured the same (drive mapping too) I did not have to alter the cmdline files - Which were the culprit.

Did not realize that the cmdline files were replaced during a reinstall and for some reason did not copy the backup files correctly.

All paths are now correct, though I am sure that there was also a problem with the installer placing the Framwork in the /System/Library/Frameworks file versus the Library/Frameworks.

Slugger & Mark, I greatly appreciate the help and will post the finished work when done.

Thanks,
The Monkey

avkills
06-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Cool, glad you are back online. I know exactly how you were feeling. :D

-mark