PDA

View Full Version : gradient question

tech365
06-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Isn't there an option on the gradient surface editor so that your texture can simply go from left to right

Silkrooster
06-05-2005, 02:50 PM
You can create your gradient in a photo editor or illustration program, then apply that to your object, just like you would with an image.
Silk

toby
06-05-2005, 04:55 PM
And yes, it could do that if they added the functionality, it's already a feature request!

Surrealist.
06-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Isn't there an option on the gradient surface editor so that your texture can simply go from left to right

The Lost art of the "grid procedural gradient".

The image is a 4 meter long rectangle.

Settings for this image:

Procedural - Grid

Line thinkness 4

Position -2m on X

Falloff (on X) 25%

BTW these settings are not set in stone, just what I threw up there and there is play even on the line thickness - someone might know what the actual number in the peramiter relates to in meters. As to the position, that should be the begining of the gradient which of course does relate in meters or whatever mesurement you are using. Note that you can also rotate for a slanted gradient.

toby
06-06-2005, 03:23 AM
Doh!

------------

Silkrooster
06-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I second tody's comment. :rolleyes:
Silk

SplineGod
06-06-2005, 07:24 PM
I use a similar but slightly different approach.
I apply the value procedural. I then hit automatic sizing and then take the X scale in this case and divide it by 2 and then copy/paste that value to the X position channel and add a negative sign in front of it. This places the start of the procedural exactly at the left edge of the object.
Next I set the falloff to linear x and adust the falloff until it look correct.

SplineGod
06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Another option is to add a gradient on top of the Value procedural with the input parameter set to Previous Layer. This allows even more flexibility. :)

Surrealist.
06-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Great one Larry! Yea, I was thinking you could use the value for this too but didn't mess with it. I like the second idea too.

parm
06-07-2005, 12:54 AM
You could also place a null to the left of your object, and use a gradient with input parameter x distance to object:

toby
06-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately the distance to object gradient is not entirely reliable - it often loses track of the null when you load the scene. I had a scene with several of these and had to reset the gradients every time I reloaded it.

Also, if you use the gradient - surfaced object in any other scene, you'll have to set up the null again. It's much nicer to have the gradient self-contained in the object.

. . . tody?
:o

SplineGod
06-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Surrealist, Thanks! :)

tech365
06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I just used the 14 year old's method ('cause thats how how old I am) I used an X distance to object gradient and moved the object to the right of the pivot point. Didn't even bother with a null.

Surrealist.
06-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Funny, I was going to ad that one but I thought, na, he's going to want to animate it or somnething.

Keep these other ideas in mind though for the future as you will be limited when you have something you want to animate as the pivot point will be something you will want to use specifically for animation and you won't want to tie that up in getting the surface right. :)