PDA

View Full Version : Game making

Orb Games
06-05-2005, 12:35 AM
hi can i use lightwave 3d to also script my games and is there a place where i can get a demo of lightwave 3d as i would like to try it out.

somnambulance
06-05-2005, 09:07 AM
You need a game engine to get started. No you cant script game code in Lightwave... well... for the sake of argument (because everyone likes to argue) you could techincally make a game in the LW environment. Here is where you can download Lightwave. (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/win/lw75d.html)

You might want to check out a book called 3D Game Programming all in one. If you have a PC and that book, you can make a game. The CD supplied with the book has EVERYTHING you need to make a game. I think it is about $50-$60.

Orb Games
06-06-2005, 12:35 AM
ok well where can i get a game engine and what program will let me make the "room" in other words levels and will let me script and incorparate the modles from lightwave

riki
06-06-2005, 01:11 AM
I think bob?? made a chess game in Lightwave Lscript?? But of course you needed a copy of Lightwave to play it :)

Orb Games
06-06-2005, 05:03 AM
well is there a way or program that you can get that will turn it inot a exe. ohh and that download link you gave me was to an update but i need the program first plus i only want a demo.

LSlugger
06-06-2005, 08:06 AM
The 7.5d update can be installed on its own, and will work in "Discovery" mode, which is basically a feature-limited demo. If you want a demo of 8, you need to get it from NewTek or a dealer.

As for a game engine, you can probably get by with the mod. tools for a first-person shooter. I can't tell you which ones are the most LightWave friendly, but I've heard that some of the Serious Sam and Doom 3 models were made with LightWave.

Orb Games
06-07-2005, 03:51 AM
well thanks i got the demo thanks im making a model but i would like to know how to put text on it says you need to ad soem fonts first but what do i do to add them im making a simple fuel storage container and it needs some text on it so can anybody help me.

LSlugger
06-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Modeler maintains a list of fonts in lwm3.cfg. You can manage this list with the Edit Font List dialog (Modeler > Options > Edit Font List).

Be sure to download the documentation. The 7.0 manual and 7.5 update are available as PDF, and the 7.5 help system is available as a bunch of HTML files.

Orb Games
06-08-2005, 01:51 AM
well thanks.

another questino would be is when i go to put a texture onto my house im making it only goes the texture color like when i go to put a wood texture on it doesn't go the would texture just the color.

also can anybody tell me where i can find a peeling paint texture as i wwant it to put as the texture on my house and i need a clay texture for my stair rails and a suttle concrete one for the stairs.

cgbloke2004
06-12-2005, 04:55 PM
well thanks.

another questino would be is when i go to put a texture onto my house im making it only goes the texture color like when i go to put a wood texture on it doesn't go the would texture just the color.

also can anybody tell me where i can find a peeling paint texture as i wwant it to put as the texture on my house and i need a clay texture for my stair rails and a suttle concrete one for the stairs.
go out and take some photos.

not sure you can edit them in mspaint though. see if you can buy photoshop.

the documentation that you can download for lightwave will give you al the poniters you need to start in lightwave.
for getting to grips with 3d itself, you need to do some reading perhaps, or just play with lightwave, going through the manual.

if youre serious then you'll be needing to do this properly.

as for doing what youre asking - you really really need to read up on what is required in making games - as thats several major disciplines that you'll have to get into your head to make it work.

have you had any experience before? do you know what youre doing? or have you only played with doing bits in mods etc for other game engines?

you really need to find out alot of info - and you'll have to be fairly intelligent about it - this is a 3d forum, not a games forum, not a games engine forum neither is it a game encoding/ai/scripting/etc etc anything else specific to the games industry forum.
3d is only a small part of what goes into making games. its like the tip of an iceberg, theres a ton more stuff to learn about it.

if youre genuine and serious about it, then good luck!