PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to leave my Dongle in?

Nightstar
06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
First off, I don't think I would ask this question anywhere else in the world, LOL.

So... Do I need to leave the dongle in? I realy could use the USB port. I have registered and have entered my permanent license key.

robewil
06-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Yes you do. Lightwave, while running, periodically checks if it is plugged in and shuts down if it detects that it is missing.

Nightstar
06-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will never take my dongle out.

Please don't tell my wife. LOL!

LSlugger
06-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Lightwave, while running, periodically checks if it is plugged in and shuts down if it detects that it is missing.

Are you sure about that? I remove the dongle while working on the laptop, because I'm afraid of breaking it. (Depending on what I'm doing, I'm sometimes even content to work in Discovery mode.) LightWave crashes frequently, but I don't think it has ever been due to a missing dongle.

ingo
06-04-2005, 02:03 AM
You only need the dongle for starting Lightwave, otherwise you can take it out. When i do presentations with Lightwave on a Powerbook i only plug it in when starting or restarting Lightwave, that way i still have an LW-dongle when my presentation is finished ;-)

grofaz
06-04-2005, 09:02 AM
nice piece of information...

robewil
06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Yes you do. Lightwave, while running, periodically checks if it is plugged in and shuts down if it detects that it is missing.I'll retract this statement. I know, a while ago, I had experimented by removing the dongle with Lightwave on and it definitely went down. I don't remember exactly when I tried that. It was probably when I was running ver 6.X. I just tried it today and it stayed up. I think Newtek changed something.

JamesCurtis
06-04-2005, 04:19 PM
I remember a project that me and a clent were working on [probably with 6.x] and if the dongle was removed and you went to render a frame it would report that the dongle was missing and wouldn't render it until the dongle was replaced. Haven't tried it with 8.x, besides I'm not comfortable with removing it while the machine is running anyhow.