PDA

View Full Version : Animated Electrons

wowens
06-03-2005, 01:52 PM
How would I create and animate an electron traveling in a circular formation? I would eventually like to animate a few of these interacting with each other. I've attached a still image showing the desired effect. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

prospector
06-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Here's my go at it :)

In modeler I would make a disk (if only viewed from 1 direction) with no thickness, highlite the poly, smooth shift it, resize smaller a bit, delete the highlited part.
You now should have a disk that looks like a washer.

Do a UV of it in planer mode from the flat side (not on edge).

Send the UV (by imaginator) to a saved pic file.

Save object.

In your paint program, load the UV and do a radial gradient the size of the UV and save it.(grayscale).

In Layout, load the disk,give it a surface, add some glow,
now in the transparency slot, click on the 'T', load the gradient on the UV map.

set your frames to 359, on the rotation buttons for the gradient, click the 'E' and go from 0 at frame 0 to 359 at 359.(depending on what axis you UV'd it at, so play till you get it the right way).

What you have done so far;

Made your electron trail (disk), made it glow, then used a transparency map (the gradient) so the trail dissolves from view as electron goes around (the rotation of map).
now for the actual electron.
Use a point lite for color you want, add a lens flare, (as shown in your pic), then from a view that looks at the flat side of trail (disk), start the light where the fully shown part of trail starts and animate it around the disk for the full 359 frames (no need to do each frame but just enough to get your smooth circle.

A side thought;
if in modeler you make the disk 359 sided, then copy the edge points to a new layer, you could start at 1 point and hilite around the disk and hit 'CTRL-P' and then change that poly to a motion file and save it so in layout just give the light that motion file to keep from doing it manually.

Now when you run the anim, the light should go around the disk with the trail following it around and fading out just before the electron comes around again.

There ya go.
my .002 cents worth (yess 10 times less than 2 cents) :D

prospector
06-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Tried my way and got this in about 15 min, so a little tweaking and it would work well.
Also I changed from above directions;

then from a view that looks at the flat side of trail (disk), start the light where the fully shown part of trail starts and animate it around the disk for the full 359 frames (no need to do each frame but just enough to get your smooth circle.
This part dropped in favor of parenting the light to disk and just rotating disk.
Faster and easier.

wowens
06-04-2005, 10:39 AM
prospector -- Thanks for the quick reply. That looks perfect! I'll give it a try.

wowens
06-05-2005, 09:13 AM
prospector -- Here's a sample from the test animation. I need to add more sides to the disc to remove the facets along the ring. Also, the transparency needs to be greater and narrower towards the end of the ring

Is there a way to include the glow and point light in the alpha channel? Currently, the file only includes the disc in the alpha channel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

prospector
06-05-2005, 02:12 PM
for a narrower tail here's how I would do it,

Make Box with your count of sections (in numeric panel)
Make it tapered to your specs (in numeric panel)
Make it bent (in numeric panel)

your tail is thinner :D

Transparency can be set in 'Image Editor' by darkening or lightining the pic used (play to what you want)

Alpha channel and me are mortal enemies :eek: I never could get that down so I can't help with that...sorry

prospector
06-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Oh yea forgot a good tip;

If you UV that box in the straight setting (before tapering and bending), you can after it's all shaped and such, have your textures (like small electric arcs from the procedrials button) follow the arch around and fade out with the regular color.

Also this is how streams are done so water will flow around bends, rocks, trees, dams and such.
UV straight, then shape to what you need and textures will bend, squeeze, go over falls without going in wrong direction. Just a tip for future refrence ;)

As for the facets, just hit 'Tab' in modeler before saving and they will smooth out