PDA

View Full Version : chair frame question

neilp
06-03-2005, 09:16 AM
could any body tell me how to model the frame of the chair shown below. I normally model in fz and render in lw but i would like to try modelling this chair in LW. In fz I would draught the basic 3d frame with straight lines, fillet the corners and sweep a circle around the entire frame shape and voila. In lw im a bit stuck.

neilp
06-03-2005, 09:16 AM
oops this is the chair

Silkrooster
06-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Use rail extrude.

Create the shape of the chair with a spline and put the spline in the background. In the foreground create a flat disc. Now run the rail extrude tool.
If you use the spline tool, you will need 2 points per corner to straighten out the long sections. An alternative is to use bezier tool. If you use this tool, you may end up with multiple splines, these can be connected together by selecting them then use the merge poly tool (shift - z). If they are not merged the rail extrude tool will stop at the end of the first spline.
Silk

CB_3D
06-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I just placed the discs at the relevant curves and connected them with Polysew for this frame.

neilp
06-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Where can I get my hands on polysew chris, I tried Flay etc. no results?

NormJ
06-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Couldn't resist giving this a go with Rope Editor. Started with a box to create points for the poly chain.

Norm