PDA

View Full Version : Worley plugins??

John Melvin
06-03-2005, 08:08 AM
I have F-Prime, Taft, and Sasquatch. Wondering if I need G2, Polk or ???? Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Nemoid
06-05-2005, 01:31 AM
it all depends on what u want to do. G2 for example does alot of things not only in surfacing,and SSS but also in lighting, and other things. its a cool shader and even if it has a preview windows working similarly to F prime's one, its not a renderer like F prime is. this being said 'i'd like Fprime work with shaders so that it could be used together with G2 in the same preview window. how cool would be that? :)

Nigel Baker
06-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Hello John,

When G2 came out I bought it straight away.
Loved it and I think it is great.
Then FPrime came along and Ditto.
But G2 and FPrime do not talk to each other.
This is my biggest wish from Worley.

I never use G2 anymore. I use FPrime all the time.

Yog
06-05-2005, 05:49 AM
I have F-Prime, Taft, and Sasquatch. Wondering if I need G2, Polk or ???? Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
First off, only you can tell if you "need" the other plug-ins.

Personally I think G2 is well worth it, even if it isn't currently compatable with F-Prime. F-Prime might be an exceedingly fast preview and rendering tool, but there are some effects that are really hard to pull off without G2.

Some advantages of G2 are, multi specular settings (way better than the inbuilt BRDF effect), sub surface scattering, and for me the most used G2 function (but most overlooked), the ability to balance the ratio between raytraced and environment reflections, i.e. will allow you to interactively tone down HDRI reflections so they don't overpower raytraced reflections.

Nigel Baker
06-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Hello John,

Just visited Worleys web site.
They have two animations on Polk - Acid that may interest you in your decision.
What Yog said is very true.
G2 is enermously flexible.
it is just my personal work flow is more geaared to incorporate FPrime rather than G2.

But they are both great plugins.

Chris S. (Fez)
06-05-2005, 09:51 AM
"the ability to balance the ratio between raytraced and environment reflections, i.e. will allow you to interactively tone down HDRI reflections so they don't overpower raytraced reflections."

Wow Yog. I have had G2 since week one and I did not know we could control those separately. Could you please tell me how/where you are managing that?

BTW I love G2 workflow of being able to click on a surface in the preview window to open its panel. Plus being able to keep as many panels open as we want is very practical. I can't wait for FPrime and G2 to talk to one another.

Nigel Baker
06-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Chris,

Love the Icon.
DC has always been in a special place for me.

Panikos
06-05-2005, 12:35 PM
If you can afford them buy them.
I bought all Worley plugins from the first day of release.
I know that they are very reliable, do what the web says.

As far as the future, I predict that Worley will make them FPrime friendly.
Expecting :rolleyes:

Yog
06-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow Yog. I have had G2 since week one and I did not know we could control those separately. Could you please tell me how/where you are managing that?.Surface menu, Reflection sub-tab, Backdrop/Map Strength slider.
I find it most handy for light coloured reflective metals, as the HDR reflections can really blow out most other detail.

Chris S. (Fez)
06-05-2005, 01:22 PM
"Hey Chris,

Love the Icon.
DC has always been in a special place for me."

Me too! I am infamous for humming the music while I work.

"Surface menu, Reflection sub-tab, Backdrop/Map Strength slider.
I find it most handy for light coloured reflective metals, as the HDR reflections can really blow out most other detail."

Thanks Yog. I'm gonna try it out first thing tomorrow.