PDA

View Full Version : best way to set camera to a path?

redgriffin
05-30-2005, 11:27 PM
i have looked for the answer for this elsewhere, please excuse this for people who have already heard it.

i want to rotate a camera around an object. (like the moon goes around the earth)

i have set the target to the object and that works fine, but i can't get the camera going around in a nice clean circle.

pls help..thanks.

Surrealist.
05-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Almost textbook null aplication - if there could be such a thing as textbook for a null this would be it.

Items/Add/Null ...name it "[your object]_camera null" or something similar.

Go to options (o) and make sure parent in place is deselected.

Parent the null to the object you want to target. It will snap to the center of the object.

Parent the camera to the null. If you already had a camera position you are happy with you can first select "parent in place" and it will keep the camera there rather than snap it into the center of the object.

Now rotate the null and the camera spins in a perfect circle.

Keep in mind that it might not work interactively until you create a keyframe.

To add another step you could have a chain of nulls if you wanted to do more with the motion such as one to move the camera in and out of the orbit etc. But for this you might just use Parenter - more on that later.

Now from this you can do other things as well. You can start to see one of the powerful aplications for a null. This is one of the most basic type of aplications but there are many many creative uses for nulls other than this in a variety of situations not just for rotaions.

I have even heard of people creating real world-type "camera rigs" with nulls -boom, dolly etc. The possibilitues are wide open.

If you want to take it a step further check out this tutorial to have the camera go in and out of influence on the null in a dynamic fashion using Parenter:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/p2_web.mov

redgriffin
06-01-2005, 09:51 PM
omg!!

i can't believe i did'nt think of that. it's so easy and i was just using the same thing the other day.

thanks.