PDA

View Full Version : Bone Deformation-What's Going On Here?

nickej
05-30-2005, 09:26 PM
This is a screen-grab of a bizarre deformation that's occurring in the fins of my trilobite model. I layered a solid representation with a bounding-box grab of the same scene so you could see how the bones sit in the mesh.

I'm thinking that the problem lies with my weight maps, but I'm open to suggestion.
The way I applied the maps is to have zones of 100% influence moving out from the root of the leg/bone system, rather than try to have the weight maps apply only to the area that the bone has to influence. This means that the root bone is 100% all over the object, the second bone is no influence right over the root bone, but 100% further out, etc. In the past, I've found that this gave cleaner deformations, but with the thinness of these fins, perhaps it's the wrong approach. The problem is that everything I've tried so far doesn't work either--changing the influence strength, switching to "maps only" with normalization, even trying bone-are-only weighting.

Should I just add a larger area of partial influence (falloff) around the central area?
Might that work?
Thanks in advance.

nickej
05-31-2005, 01:11 PM
OK....Using Weight Blur, about ten iterations per map, seems to have solved the problem. I'd tried to smooth the maps by hand without getting the right results, but the Weight Blur plugin really did it.