PDA

View Full Version : Dongle storage

meatycheesyboy
05-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Can we have it so that the USB dongle has storage on it and will automatically store your config files? Then if you go to a different computer you could just tell LW to either load configs from the dongle or use the natively stored configs? Viola, no need to set up menus and such on every computer you go to.

Strange request I'm sure but useful, I think.

Karmacop
05-30-2005, 08:24 PM
This is upto the dongle manufaturer. I think the problem with it is that people would, for example, put lightwave on the dongle so they can take it with them anyhere. This means if you lose your dongle than whoever finds/steals your dongle not only has your dongle but the program that needs it to run. At the moment if you lose your dongle then whoever ends up with your dongle needs a) the install cd and b) to ring newtek to get a permanent key.

Hoopti
05-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't think he's asking for the program to be installed to the dongle, but the config files. That sure would make it easy if I go to another computer to do some work, just take my dongle and it's setup exactly as I work, and when I unplug my dongle and put in the owners it reverts back to their setup.

I think that's what he's getting to.

Hoop

Karmacop
05-31-2005, 05:32 AM
But my point is if you could store config files on it (which would be great) then you'd be able to keep any file on there. I know personally if I could store lightwave and my config files on my dongle then I would. I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

LSlugger
05-31-2005, 07:22 AM
I've thought that some storage would be a nice enhancement to the dongle, so that it actually does something useful. On the other hand, I'd like the dongle to be as reliable as possible, so the added complexity may not be worth it.

The best thing about the dongle (relative to other copy prevention schemes) is that you can install LightWave anywhere you want. The worst thing is that you're screwed if you lose it. Anyway, LightWave has been getting cheaper and cheaper. Maybe by the time you can get a copy for five cereal box tops (plus shipping and handling, of course), NewTek will give up on copy prevention.

meatycheesyboy
08-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't think he's asking for the program to be installed to the dongle, but the config files. That sure would make it easy if I go to another computer to do some work, just take my dongle and it's setup exactly as I work, and when I unplug my dongle and put in the owners it reverts back to their setup.

I think that's what he's getting to.

Hoop

I'm going to bump this up from the grave because the v9 announcement includes most of what I want, but I still think this is a good idea. Hoopti, I think has the idea right. When I say dongle storage, I'm not talking abut making the dongle a 128MB USB stick or anyhting, I mean like 1/2 MB for config files only, and don't even give the user access to that 1/2 MB, have lightwave do it for you.

So, here is what I'm thinking.... I set up my menus, shortcuts, window positions, etc in lightwave. Then I press the "tansfer configs to dongle" button. Lightwave then loads up my configs onto the dongle, asking to overwrite if there are already configs etc. Now, if I go to another machine where someone else usually works, when I put in my dongle and start LW, I just press the "load configs from dongle (this session only)" button and viola, all my shortcuts, window positions etc. are loaded up on the new machine but their configs are left intact after I remove the dongle.

Thoughts?

mrunion
08-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Why not use the "-c" option with lightwave and point to a regular USB memory stick with your configs on it. When you sent to work on someone else's maachine, you could take a couple of seconds to copy their LW shortcut (to the desktop, for example), open it's properties, add the "-c" option to your memory stick, and you've got the same thing. Then you don't have to carry your dongle around and risk losing it, you just use theirs AND you carry around a cheap memory stick.