PDA

View Full Version : FPrime not seeing objects?

spec24
05-30-2005, 11:44 AM
I am currently rendering my scene in seperate passes but suddenly FPrime renderer - not the real-time previewer - doesn't see any of the objects I have selected to be seen by camera. The real-time previewer does see them however. Anyone else run into this and know why this might be happening? Actually I jsut tried rendering the whole scene and was surprised to see nothing cam out in the render. YIKES! I did two passes earlier with no problems. I'm rendering to 32bit tif.

Exception
05-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Oh 32 bit tiff...
You opening it in photoshop?

I'm smelling an alpha problem...
did you try reopening the file in Lightwave?
The tiff saver isn't exactly photoshop compliant...

Ztreem
05-30-2005, 01:11 PM
I use the Targa format for my images and I have never had any problems, but everybody that uses Tiff have problems, it seems... Maybe you should switch. :D

Exception
05-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Well its a combination of two things:

- Tiff is not saved properly by Lightwave although the support team goes through pains claiming it is. Result is that alpha channels are immediately applied in Photoshop in some circumstances, making you lose evrything the alpha channel makes transparent

-Frime is not too good at following Alpha Channel ex- and inclusions yet. Not at all actually.

So this could in theory make you lose objects. But I'm not sure that is actually his rpoblem. If you watch the Tiff with something like ACDSee it would show fine...

toby
05-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Do you have the "+Alpha" button checked in the fprime render panel? Tiff works fine for me with this on, and the LW render seems ok too.

I didn't realize that .tiff gives you a clean pre-mult! I've been using .png32 which leaves a matte line that has to be cleaned up :o

Exception
05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
hmm that sucks... Guess its TGA from now on then.

Ztreem
05-30-2005, 04:26 PM
What's the difference between Tiff and Targa? Maybe the Tiff format is more supported by various apps, but is it any other differencies? Just curious.

Exception
05-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Completely different.

Besides the ordinary 32 bit stuff:

Tiff features:
- Compression (Runtime, LZH, ZIP, JPG)
- Layers
- Vector paths (great for Indesign and others)
- Multiple Alpha Channels
- Pyramid resolutions
- and some more

TGA Features:
- Interlaced on/off
- Umm, yes thats about it...