PDA

View Full Version : Point to Point modeling in [8] is terrible!

ruud
05-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi,

I don't know if I am the only one with the complaint. But, point to point modeling in [8] is really terrible! In [8] the points stay selected when you have build a polygon. In previous versions points automaticly were unselected, so you could immediately start selecting new points and so on.

Now, I have to select... build my polygon "p" and then unselect, and so it goes on.

Take this workflow over a complete model... It would take me a lot more time to build in [8] then I did in previous versions!!!

So, why do the points stay selected... for what purpose?

Greetz, and I hope this gets fixed.

Ruud Zeelenberg

evenflcw
05-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I set up this simple script to make it work more like the original "Make Polygon":

main
{
selmode( USER );

cmdseq( "Make Poly" );

selpoint( CLEAR );
}

This deselects the points, but does not fix the fact that the plugin creates a completely new polygon selection, instead of only adding to selection.

It REALLY bothers me that NT provided us with this command and that they seem content with how it works, despite numerous complaints. They do not seem to understand our issues!!!

Currently there are two make polygon commands. The original "Make Polygon" and the new "Make Poly". The first fits well into Modelers workflow by deselecting points, allowing the user to continue with whatever he wishes, and adding new polygons to selection so the user may manipulate them further, should he wish to do so. The latter fits poorly because it does not deselect points and it creates a brand new polygon selection instead of adding to the existing polygon selection - going against the norm of how most simular Modeler commands work. It has one very neat feature though, a point-sorting algorithm that help prevent twisted polygons should you not care to select points in the correct order. Most of us would like the benefit of this point-sorting algorithm, but simply can't fit this command into our workflow, into MODELERs workflow! It would be nice if NT could further develop "Make Poly" with more options so it could be customized into working more like the original "Make Polygon" to make everyone happy! An option to "Deselect points" and "Add new polygon to selection" is all it takes! Yet another option to use the point-sorting algortihm or not would get rid of the old command altogether.

Para
05-29-2005, 10:57 AM
The old Make Poly is still in LW[8], it's just not default. You can change it by simply changing the shortcut to run Make Poly instead of Make Polygon. (or the other way around, can't remember which one it was)

evenflcw
05-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes, but that's exactly NOT the point (atleast not to my argument, don't know about ruud). Although it is certainly a viable option, it is not the optimal one!

The point is that "Make Poly" includes a point-sorting algorithm that should be made available to everyone, not just the select few that like the odd workflow of "Make Poly". And the fact that NT felt it ok to swap one out for the other is imho quite disturbing.

Sorry if I come on quite strong...

toonafish
05-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Just try Speedy polygon ( http://www.garagepost.tv/renderman.htm ), or EasyPoly which sometimes works better, but the link to that one seems to be dead at Flay.

ruud
05-30-2005, 01:51 PM
I assigned "P" to Make Polygon! That's all I need, now, I am curious what you are talking about, the algoritm of the original make polygon???

Greetz, and thanks!

Ruud

evenflcw
05-30-2005, 02:43 PM
No, no, no, the point sorting algorithm is in the new "Make Poly". It allows you to select points in any order and it will for the most part (not always) sort things out and you'll end up with a clean polygon. You try to do the same with the old "Make Polygon" and you'll most likely end up with a twisted polygon. With "Make Polygon" you HAVE TO select points in order, but with "Make Poly" this is not the case. It doesn't work too well though, so perhaps I'm arguing my case too strongly.

ruud
05-30-2005, 02:48 PM
ah, ok, I get it. They should program the command to deselect the points when you hit "p".

But that can be done in a script as well...

Exception
05-30-2005, 04:42 PM
No, no, no, the point sorting algorithm is in the new "Make Poly". It allows you to select points in any order and it will for the most part (not always) sort things out and you'll end up with a clean polygon. You try to do the same with the old "Make Polygon" and you'll most likely end up with a twisted polygon. With "Make Polygon" you HAVE TO select points in order, but with "Make Poly" this is not the case. It doesn't work too well though, so perhaps I'm arguing my case too strongly.

I just tried this, and with me, for a simple for point flat quad, it didn;t work...

evenflcw
05-30-2005, 05:51 PM
You're right, in most cases it doesn't seem to perform any better than the original "Make Polygon". It seems the point sorting algorithm only does what it does in special cases:

http://www.davidikeda.com/ditools/makepoly.html

My mistake...