PDA

View Full Version : Another way to get LW to scan-line render.

wacom
05-27-2005, 11:26 AM
I bet I'm not the first to discover what may be a very useless thing- how to do scanline rendering in LW without a transparent polygon in front of the camera.

OK, so it's another hack, but while watching a render I noticed that LW renders reflections, on single polygons, in a linear fasion. So I parented a polygon to the camera with its normal flipped towards the camera, turned off everything except unseen by camera for the polygon, turned on raytraced reflections, and this is what I got- and it rendered as scan line. Seems faster than native LW, but it does have limitations...

But you'd have to reverse the image...

just thought I'd post it anyway...

Ztreem
05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Seems like the reflections on the ground stop a bit early.

wacom
05-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I've been doing some tests and there are some REAL issues when you use AA on this too. Also it seems it's not scaleable- for some reason when I render out 1024x768 it takes about the same amount of time as 640X480, but the edges have really bad aliasing! I'll keep playing with it, but is seems like a lame duck...

The other thing of note is that it seems to handle GI shadows better with lower rays per an evaluation...not sure about it but it "seems" so...also Fprime seems to work slightly faster with it...and without the wierd aa thing.

The droping of the reflection seems to corispond to where the reflective poly is placed (which makes sense).

I'll keep hack'n and see if anything useful comes out of this...

toby
05-28-2005, 12:22 AM
I just tried a scene with HV and it took 5 sec. instead of 2.7...

Good idea though, deserves some more experimentation

Funny, I turned on Show render in progress, and it you can see the HV render during 'rendering polygons', and by the time it gets to 'rendering volumetrics', they're already done and nothing changes!

wacom
05-29-2005, 10:33 PM
The funny thing is that it seems slightly faster if you turn all of the objects except for the mirror to unseen by camera! This also does something wierd to Fprime was well...I swear it speeds up GI and radiosity with certain things in Fprime, but you have to have the objects unseen by camera. It's kind of like it's using the surface noise reduction instead of the light noise quality one...or something? Not sure yet, but I'll post when I have more if any evidence of this being true...