PDA

View Full Version : subdivide options

kedge
05-27-2005, 09:02 AM
I tried to play with the Subdivide tool- shift d, however can't make it to give me segments I look for. For example, I cannot get 3 segments in each 6 sides. It gives me either 2 for 1 xyz segment or 4 for 2 xyz segments in my box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silkrooster
05-27-2005, 05:24 PM
The subdivide tool, equally divides an area. If you need 3 divisions, your better off either changing the divisions while creating the box using the numeric panel, or use the knife tool or bandsaw.
Silk

Surrealist.
05-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Also you can change subpatch level in general options if you are looking for a controlled smooth subdivide, then just freeze the object. But if you want faceted I defer to the above post.

kedge
05-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Thank you for your suggestion. However, I was wondering how they used the subdivide tool in the following video-

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/modeling/01_basic_head_shape-2min.avi

Thanks

Dodgy
05-28-2005, 10:05 AM
The use metanurbs/subdivision surfaces. Press tab, and it'll smooth your mesh using the subdivisions in the Options (press 'o') panel. You can then 'freeze' them by pressing ctrl-d (the same command that you use for freezing curves to polys)

Surrealist.
05-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Thank you for your suggestion. However, I was wondering how they used the subdivide tool in the following video-

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/modeling/01_basic_head_shape-2min.avi

Thanks

Yeas that's it. I had a feeling that's what you were refering to. But I guess you have all the info now. The number you inter in options will be the nuber of subdivisions. After you subpatch (tab) then freeze that will get you your starting point - done that tut a couple of times!

kedge
05-29-2005, 08:24 AM
I am sorry guys, I still can't follow you. After creating a box w 1 division for xyz, when I use the subdivision (shift d) tool it gives me the 2 division quadrangle box. I cannot change it to 3 divisions. "General options" (o) didn't give me that option either.

Dodgy
05-29-2005, 08:41 AM
I am sorry guys, I still can't follow you. After creating a box w 1 division for xyz, when I use the subdivision (shift d) tool it gives me the 2 division quadrangle box. I cannot change it to 3 divisions. "General options" (o) didn't give me that option either.

tab then CTRL-D, not shift-d......

kedge
05-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Thank you guys, it worked.