PDA

View Full Version : *Many* duplicates of model..best way?

Johnny
05-27-2005, 08:14 AM
I have a scene which will use many flying objects..perhaps hundreds if I can figure a way to orchestrate them all...

the object is basically the same object, but I want scads of them. Do I:

A) make hundreds of objects
B) make many layers in the first object, copying the geometry to all the layers
C) some better way?

all of these things are going to be flying pretty much in a straight line across a vast expanse..a little vibration and slight rotation would be cool, and I'd need to vary the surfaces slightly so it's not obvious they're all clones. Another goal is that these items' positions will vary; some will get to the destination before the others.

Tried using World for the surface, that just makes the surface appear to move, so I guess that's out.

I'm guessing that I'm going to path the objects to paths I want them to follow, but I can see this being a *long* process getting large numbers of these little guys pathed, vibrated, rotating independently, etc..

any suggestions would be a huge help.

OR Could I shoot them all as particles for the masse scene, then use fewer clones for the close-ups?

J

jnddepew
05-27-2005, 10:27 AM
particles?

try clicking here: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/MDscan_small.mov

and then when you're done with that,

here:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/FXlinker_small.mov

hope it helps! I'm new, I just got lightwave yesterday but that might be of some help.

Johnny
05-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Holy Duplication, Batman!

That's it! thanks for the linx

J

jnddepew
05-28-2005, 06:33 AM
did it help?

Johnny
05-28-2005, 07:30 AM
did it help?

well, I haven't applied the method to my situation, but I can easily see that that IS the method I need.

J

jnddepew
05-28-2005, 07:58 AM
great! :D :D :D :D

LSlugger
05-28-2005, 09:27 AM
If you try this technique, you may be interested in a Perl script that helps to randomize the start position:

http://www.celshader.com/perl/

This could help if you're working with hundreds of objects.