PDA

View Full Version : RRGGHH!!!!! why discovery edition

jnddepew
05-27-2005, 06:31 AM
what is the discovery edition of lightwave 3d?

I thought I had got the full version but whenever I try to save a good model it says "Discovery Edition only allows 400 points in any layer"

BeeVee
05-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Have you registered your licence? It may be that you are in Discovery Mode because you didn't. Another alternative is that you don't have your dongle plugged in?

B

mattclary
05-27-2005, 06:51 AM
What's a dongle? ;)

jnddepew
05-27-2005, 07:01 AM
I did both!

if I hadn't registered it would remind me how many days I had left. I registred and it doesn't remind me.

the dongle's plugged in. it's that little wireles thing right?

BeeVee
05-27-2005, 07:05 AM
How did you input the information that registering gave you?

B

jnddepew
05-27-2005, 10:30 AM
what do you mean?

mattclary
05-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Newtek gave you a permananet license key that goes with your dongle. What did you do with that number? Where did you enter it?

jnddepew
05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
I put it in the place where it says in the registration program.

gjjackson
05-27-2005, 11:34 AM
what is the discovery edition of lightwave 3d?

I thought I had got the full version

Where'd you buy it at?

donny
05-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Hello All
First thing to do is check your registration to make sure that the lock id that you have matches what is in the registration that will ensure that you have the correct permanent key. Here is the URL http://register.newtek.com/ You can check the lock by going to the registration program in the Start Menu\Programs\Newtek\LightWave\Registration and hitting next. Or for Mac users just going to the Applications\LightWave 8.0\Programs folder.

If the lock id matches check the permanent license key to see that you have the correct one written down.

And lastly check the license.key file in the C:\Program Files\LightWave [8]\Programs folder that it has your correct permanent key.

If all else fails I'm sure one of use here at NewTek will be more than happy to help you out.... :D

mattclary
05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I put it in the place where it says in the registration program.

And where was that?

jnddepew
05-27-2005, 03:03 PM
I've been experimenting. it seems like I'm fine until I try to instal the updates.
why could this be?

mattclary
05-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Because the executable in the patch hasn't been cracked? :confused:

LSlugger
05-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Because the executable in the patch hasn't been cracked?

You may think it's amusing to accuse someone of using an authorized copy, but it will only add to his frustration.

The two most common reasons for LightWave starting in Discovery mode are: failure to recognize the dongle, and incorrect entry of the license. You may need to reinstall the SafeNet drivers. Some people have reported that white space is significant in the license file; i.e., adding a space to the end of the file may help.

Copy protection is a nuisance. I'm not sure the extent to which NewTek supports the academic version, but you could try giving them a call.

jnddepew
05-28-2005, 06:32 AM
oh it's fine now--without the patches. but when I try to install the patches, It goes to Discovery mode! :confused:

jnddepew
05-28-2005, 05:16 PM
okay. I've narrowed it down. it's fine when I install all the patches up to the 8.3 patch. Then it goes to discovery mode.

LSlugger
05-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I haven't received my copy of LW 8, yet, so I may be talking out of my hat, but the 8.3 download page states that updated SafeNet drivers may be required: "At the beginning of the installation process, you will be asked to update your dongle drivers to the latest version, 7.1, available. If you have not already upgraded your dongle drivers, please allow the version 8.3 installer to do so."

I assume that you have a recent copy of LightWave with the USB DUO dongle. On Windows 2000 (and XP, I think), you can check your driver version in the Device Manager (Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware). There should be an entry under Universal Serial Bus controllers labeled "SafeNet USB SuperPro/UltraPro." On the driver tab of the Properties dialog, my driver version is listed as 7.1.0.0. (I downloaded them directly from SafeNet.) You may still have the old (5.41?) drivers.

One note on the driver installation. The first time I installed the 7.1 drivers, I chose a custom install and omitted the parallel port drivers, because I have a USB dongle. LightWave did not work. I reinstalled with both the USB and parallel port drivers selected, and LightWave was happy.

ezdrake
05-28-2005, 10:38 PM
I had the exact same problem - all fine except when I installed the latest patch for 8.3. The first time, I had selected "No" when asked to install the new Sentinel drivers since I had already installed the latest version direct from Rainbow. I went back, reran the patch and this time selected "Yes" to have the 8.3 patch install the Sentinel drivers; then proceeded to reinstall the patch. This time, it came up in full mode.

jnddepew
05-29-2005, 04:55 AM
okay, I'll try that, see if it works.

jnddepew
05-29-2005, 05:03 AM
MUHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
It works!