PDA

View Full Version : corrective morphs and smartmorph? please help me sort it out

whiles145
05-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I've been meaning to post on this for a long time. Here's the thing.
I could never get corrective morphs in lightwave to work (at least not in the shoulder or hip area which is where they were needed most).

I would do that trick where you pose your character in layout and then save it has a morph. I would then make a copy of that morph and reshape the model to fix the bad deformations in a certain area (like the shoulder). Then I would copy the morph I just made, rename it (something like shoulder.corUp), and by using 'Apply Morph' I would apply the morph of the original posed character at a strength of -100% in order to get the difference. I would then go into layout and apply my morph (shoulder.corUp) to the posed character so the deformation would be fixed.

Well if I applied the morph using morphmixer or JMP(joint morph plus) it wasn't fixed. I was not seeing what I had modeled earlier. The morph didn't seem to be applied correctly. Something was distorting it.
I've talked to people who claim this method works for them and I can't understand how that is. Now sometimes the morph seemed very close to what I had modeled, but it was never exact. I keep thinking maybe that's why these people claim it works. Someone told me that maybe it was a bug. I tried this on lw7.5 and lw8 and it didn't work in either.

Well I was ready to accept defeat until I tried a demo for smartmorph. For whatever reason when I used smartmorph to apply the corrective morphs I'd made before they were applied correctly. My bad deformations were gone. I was thrilled. But why is it working correctly in smartmorph? shouldn't my morphs be working correctly using lw's standard plugins? What is smartmorph doing differently? I just don't get it. So I was hoping someone out there could help me sort this all out. Am I missing something? :confused: This issue has been bothering me since january. Someone please help me get to the bottom of this. Thanks.

NormJ
05-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Just in case you haven't tried it already, make sure you set the Subdivsion Order to at least "After Morphing" (object properties, General tab). The default is First. In Modeler, it's basically after morph.

Norm

whiles145
05-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks for replying NormJ.

Whenever I'm testing deformations in Layout I always have Subdivision Order set to "Last". I thought that would give me the same results, but does specifically setting it to "After Morphing" produce a different effect?

I know I could just test this out myself, but the reason I ask is because even if I did get a different effect I would still really appreciate someone explaining why.