PDA

View Full Version : Photomontages

wvp
04-25-2003, 02:54 PM
Looking for some advice on editing photomontages.
I know in the past there have been discussions about scanning vs. capturing with camera, etc.
I am looking for the most efficent way to get these done (i.e. camera).
So you frame picture, capture as a single frame rtv (setting the capture duration to 1 frame).
My question is about importing to the timeline. With stills (jpg, gif, etc) you can specify in prefs. to make each still x seconds long.
How do I import say 100 1 frame rtv's & make them all 4 seconds long?? (Since I will also add transistions, making this a sub project & slowing it all down would not work since that will slow the transitions also).
Thoughts?
(Ideal solution would be to capture as jpg files in the proper video resolution I would think).

SBowie
04-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by wvp

My question is about importing to the timeline. With stills (jpg, gif, etc) you can specify in prefs. to make each still x seconds long.
How do I import say 100 1 frame rtv's & make them all 4 seconds long?? (Since I will also add transistions, making this a sub project & slowing it all down would not work since that will slow the transitions also).
Thoughts?
(Ideal solution would be to capture as jpg files in the proper video resolution I would think). Single frame rtv files behave just like any other "still." Just set the default still length and drag the whole bunch of them into TEd.

Re: the SubProject approach, it's not necessary for your project, but just to be accurate -- you can do the 'stretch' thing and then add the transitions later. :-)

Scott Bates
04-25-2003, 04:35 PM
To augment what Steve said:

Re: the SubProject approach, it's not necessary for your project, but just to be accurate -- you can do the 'stretch' thing and then add the transitions later. :-)
I "Sub-DeSub-ReSub" all the time with these projects, just a matter of a couple mouse clicks. Import the stills as Steve described, select them and create a subproject. Stretch (or shrink) it to match the music or whatever, right-click the subproject and select "Expand SubProject" (not Drill Into Subproject, that will revert the stills to their original length), insert transitions as desired. I find it's often desirable to then recreate the subproject once the transitions have been added just to keep the timeline cleaner; you can always Expand it again if necessary and nothing will change.

For capturing the stills from a camera input, I use Aura rather than capturing .rtvs through the Toaster capture module. Since a lot of the pictures I capture are vertically oriented I need to crop and center them anyway and I find Aura easier and faster than cropping and postioning in TEd and I have a choice of still formats for saving.

-- In Aura, under "Edit|Modify Project", set fields to NONE with everything else left at the normal 720x486 D1 Toaster settings
-- Right-Click the "V" in the lower right corner of the display window and the Video Grabber panel will pop up - select Apply In to "Current Layer", set Length to 1 and Field "As Is"
-- In "Edit|Settings Panel|General" click Configure Keyboard Shorts, select a keyboard shortcut on the left side (I use "g"), select "Grab:Video Input" on the right side and click the Assign button
-- Once you've got each picture aligned under the camera just hit the "g" key (easier than clicking Grab Input) and each frame is added sequentially to the current layer (you will get a black frame as frame #1; click above that frame to select it, right-click on the frame and select Delete; your first picture is now frame 1)
-- Give the project a name and re-save it every few pictures in case something crashes (shift-s)
-- After you've captured all the stills and done whatever cropping or other stuff you need to do to them, set Mode to the still format you want and select Export Sequence - set the directory you want to save to and give it a file name such as "JonesPics001" (or just "001") - no extension is required - When you click the Save button Aura will save your sequence of single-frame stills as 001.ext through xxx.ext for whatever number of stills you have.

wvp
04-25-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks a lot!
I suppose I could have figured this all out by trial & error, but it is nice to know what will work.
Thanks again!!