PDA

View Full Version : Poly selection bug is ruining my life

adrencg
05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Hopefully someone from NT is reading this...

Is there anyone out there who can give a status report on this annoying modeling bug? When selecting polys, sometimes others get selected offscreen, thus allowing you to inadvertantly make mods to parts of the model which you have no intentions to change.

I've been trying to make sure I have selected only what I need before I start working, but during an 8 hour day I'm bound to forget at least once -- and that's all it can take to screw up the model. Sometimes it's a tiny fix that can be remedied with an undo or patching a hole. Sometimes, when not noticed until later, you 'll find that you have REALLY destroyed part of the model. I have lost hours of work the last few weeks(hours that I don't have) fixing these errors, or opening previous versions and starting again.

Is this something I just have to live with for the next few months? I'll never get anything done llike this. Help.

Mike

kiwi dave
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Have you tried roughly selecting the area that you wish you work on and hiding the unselected?

If your other polys were hidden, you wouldn't be able to select them accidently.

Dave

Surrealist.
05-26-2005, 04:06 PM
What display mode are you working in when this happens?

adrencg
05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Have you tried roughly selecting the area that you wish you work on and hiding the unselected?

If your other polys were hidden, you wouldn't be able to select them accidently.

Dave

Thanks, but this is a super complex medical model with lots of veins and nerves that I need to modify....I wish I could explain, but no, that's not an option. Hiding and unhiding for every little modification I need to make would add so much time to the process. Maybe not as much time as repair work I've been doing because of the bug, but I should be able to select an exact number of polys without worrying about what's going on on the other side of the model.

We need a bug fix.

Please, can someone from Newtek respond with an estimate as to when this can be fixed? I'm not interseted in workarounds whatsover anymore. Even though I've tried to work around this problem for some time, the bug has still caused much wasted time and lots of explaining to Pfizer as to why the job is not progressing on schedule.

Mike

mkiii
05-26-2005, 04:28 PM
This has been around since LW6 - and shows no sign of getting any better.

Sorry I can't offer any help here apart from the hiding everything you might not want to select each time you do a selection that doesn't have the whole object in view thing.

The problem seems to be that polygons behind the camera are not ignored as they should be - the amount of times I have inadvertantly deleted, merged, or bevelled polys that shouldn't have been selected in the first place is no joke..

Does anyone ever test these functions on anything complex?

Another similar example is the random orphan point bug in the UV editor. This has been there since the start, but has since grown to be a major problem in the last 3 updates.

Again, this is a problem that doesn't show up if all you do is UV map a box or a sphere.