PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 will be out... this summer

pixym
04-25-2003, 01:45 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3723

NigelH
04-25-2003, 02:30 PM
It ships in the Fall/Winter (4th quarter).

Xacto
04-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Hmmm... i did not see the words "Macintosh" in the message. No news is good news?

:confused:

serpicolugnut
04-25-2003, 02:40 PM
maybe we'll have our 7.5b patch around the time 8.0 finally ships...

Chuck
04-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Actually, you'll get the 7.5c update just as quickly as we can get it completed, and when 8.0 ships both Mac and PC will ship at the same time.

tumblemonster
04-25-2003, 04:03 PM
SWEET!!! You know, I sometimes have my doubts about Newtek, but then Chuck pops in at just the right time to reassure us.

Now, any chance of getting the "Reduce Polys" tool back in version 8? ;)

-tm

archiea
04-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Great thanks for the annoucment, but I was wondering why the sudden change of policy? I admit that I had been the one in the past to say that NT should make some reference to LW's furture, especialy in lieu of this luxology nonscense. I thought it would be more along the lines of the VT article last year stating broadstroked goals. Looks like with LW is more of a shot between the eyes. its just seems so unlike NT to spill the beans so far in advance. I assume its to stimulate sales of 7.5 considering the update debacle. Hey if it helps Nt's income, so much the better. Best wishes to the development team...

I was wondering if the recent plug-in development, in particular Worley's G2, Anzovin's set up machine, DR's Impact and Pawel Olas' various plugins have stimulated NT's development's team. I think they add greatly to LW's functionality. In particular, the physics aspect thats missing in LW. If you were to add a dynamics engine to 8, along with the char tools you mentioned, it would be incredible. the dynamics engine would integrate the physics involved in Motion designer, Sasquatch, impact, as well as any internal and external particle systems. I think this would also help Mac users in that if a plug-in is developed for LW that utilizes this engine, cross platform support would be more likely...

Of course, above all else, stability, stability, stability, especially in memory intensive situations.

Ade
04-25-2003, 10:39 PM
taken from maccentral-

"LightWave 3D incorporates a wide variety of tools for creating 3D graphics and animation. The software includes soft-body dynamics, particle effects, hair and fur, unlimited render nodes, and other features. And it's available for Mac OS X, "Classic" Mac OS and Windows alike."

I was wondering why Newtek has bothered doing a classic os9 version?
Surely this is a waste of resources and funds?

Chuck can u tell us anything about the mac flavour of LW8.. U can keep the features top secret, but can u tell us anything like "ohh its optimised much more for blah blah and dual cpu's etc..."

Please say something to get us crazed, cause lately we have been feeling unloved...

Darth Mole
04-26-2003, 03:07 AM
NewTek should cease developing on OS9, absolutely. This will be a paid-for upgrade, so it's not as if the remaining OS9 users are getting a raw deal (if you can afford to update the app, you should be able to update the OS).

I have every sympathy for people who are stuck on OS9, but surely this is damaging the Mac cause at NT, having to divert so much effort into a dead (not to mention clunky and unstable) operating system.

(I've recently had to revert to OS9 at work and boy does it suck!)

With regard LW8.0, I wonder if plug-ins like ACS4 and The Set-Up Machine will be integrated, or rendered obsolete by advances in LW - this has happened before, where NT has added functionality previously added by third-party plug-ins.

I'm keen to see how they've improved the GUI and workflow. Though I couldn't care less about the game dev tools - personally, I'd rather see these as a separate add-on, or standalone, game-centric version of LW - I doubt I'll ever use them.

Also, the timing is interesting. The release - according to all the rumours - will be after the arrival of IBM-powered Macs. I still wonder if the Mac version is being coded to take advantage of OSX 10.3 and these new processors?

Ade
04-26-2003, 04:38 AM
Chuck did u guys have any thoughts on the NEWTEK keyboard i proposed?

Imagine a keyboard to go with LW8...

toby
04-26-2003, 05:46 PM
so will LW 8 be offered for OS9? I have to agree that it seems like a waste. What's the percentage of OS9 to OSX sales?

archiea
04-26-2003, 07:06 PM
So toby,

Impeach Bush, and the problems in the world stop? I'm just curious about these blanket statements that think of themselves as silver bullet solutions to the world problems....

toby
04-27-2003, 01:44 AM
to be continued off the forum...

archiea
04-27-2003, 07:18 AM
and what fun would that be.....

Beamtracer
04-27-2003, 06:46 PM
I can't imagine that Newtek would support OS9 beyond the 7.5c update. In fact, they should have dropped OS9 long ago. Most of the plug-in developers already have.

There was not enough testing and debugging on the 7.5b Mac update. In my opinion, the continuation of OS9 support spreads limited resources too far, takes them away from OSX development.

archiea
04-28-2003, 01:55 AM
Wouldn't that be funny if 7.5b did work... in OS 9!!! Doh!!!!

Where's that Classic icon again?

pixym
04-28-2003, 04:44 AM
Only hope NT has found the way to compil reduce poly for mac OS X or write another same plug-ins . They can give OS 9 up :D

Chuck
04-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by tumblemonster
SWEET!!! You know, I sometimes have my doubts about Newtek, but then Chuck pops in at just the right time to reassure us.

Now, any chance of getting the "Reduce Polys" tool back in version 8? ;)

-tm

You want it with 8? I suppose we could hold it back until then... :)

pixym
04-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Reduce Poly may be available in LW8 for OS X?
Thank you for this good news. :)

Chuck
04-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Pyxym, you might want to read my reply again, carefully... ;)

tumblemonster
04-28-2003, 10:15 AM
You want it with 8? I suppose we could hold it back until then... 

Sweet! Sooner is ok as well! While you're at it, how about an "orbit selected" function for perspective views? I miss that feature from 3d Studio Max, I'd love to get it back!

-tm

pixym
04-28-2003, 10:16 AM
OK

Chuck
04-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by tumblemonster
Sweet! Sooner is ok as well!
-tm

Good to hear! :)