PDA

View Full Version : Keep having to re-link Image Map

Johnny
05-26-2005, 08:18 AM
I did a little housekeeping on a project I'm working on, and put all image maps into a "Maps" folder within Objects.

Every time I open that Scene, I'm asked to link 1 map; all the others are found by LW except for the same one.

What gives? Is there something I can do to 'teach' LW where that map is once and for all?

thanks!

J

Thomas
05-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Try and rename the folder to "Images".

Regards
Thomas

BeeVee
05-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Use the Content Directory. That way you'll never have to tell LightWave where elements of a scene are (not just images, but also objects) ever again.

B

Johnny
05-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Use the Content Directory. That way you'll never have to tell LightWave where elements of a scene are (not just images, but also objects) ever again.

B

See, that's the thing..LW already *does* know where the scene elements are, even where all but 1 of those maps are.

Don't know why it's that ONE map which it can't remember...

J

BeeVee
05-27-2005, 01:56 AM
...but if you were using the Content Directory system it would remember them all, or you would have a legitimate gripe.

B

toby
05-28-2005, 04:00 AM
You really shouldn't be putting images in the objects folder, but of you must, load the scene and browse to the map, then save the objects and the scene. That should do it.

The 'images' folder should be used for anything that is a map. Photoshop files used to make the maps can go in their own folder if you want to keep things neat. I usually have a 'PSD' folder, outside the images folder. But anything that loads into a scene, put it in images. Sub-folders in images is ok too.

avkills
06-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I'd go with the re-saving all the objects and the scene again myself. I've had that happen a few times and that fixed it.

However, I don't use the Content system, I manage all my projects in their own folders and do not seem to have any problems. If I use a stock object, I will usually copy the object to my project folder and any image maps it uses and re-link them. That way I can tweak the object and still have the original untouched.

-mark

toby
06-05-2005, 03:35 AM
However, I don't use the Content system, I manage all my projects in their own folders and do not seem to have any problems.
I assume you mean you don't use the original Content Directory that came with LW or a master directory where you put all your projects, instead you make a folder for each project, with it's own 'images' and 'scenes' etc. I think that's the best way to do it.

avkills
06-05-2005, 01:41 PM
I assume you mean you don't use the original Content Directory that came with LW or a master directory where you put all your projects, instead you make a folder for each project, with it's own 'images' and 'scenes' etc. I think that's the best way to do it.

Yes that is what I do.

-mark

Scazzino
06-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Here's some info on how to properly use content directories (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#contentDir) in LW...

-MikeS

Johnny
06-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Well, I think I'm using it correctly..I always use the "images scenes objects" set of 3 directories, and point my LW to the one I'm working on at the time.

Don't know why the other dozen or so link up just fine while that one doesn't; it sits in the same directory as the rest do.

J

toby
06-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Has saving the model fixed it? The path to the image is saved in the model's file - if you navigate to a new image, you will have to save the model for the new path to be saved and load the next time.

The other thing it could be is if there's something up with the file, like no extension or the wrong ext., most programs on the Mac don't care, but LW does -