PDA

View Full Version : UV Improvements

jalaska
05-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Lightwave could always improve its UV tools. Just think of DeepUV or Unfold3d. It would be nice to see some of this power in Lightwave which would save a lot of time and be something that would set Lightwave apart from other apps concerning UV tools. I feel UV tools had long been ignored in Lightwave and with the new 8+ releases they have really begun to improve UV stuff in Lightwave which is really great, but I think there is still room for improvement and not just being average like other apps, but really moving ahead in this area like very few small apps that only focus on UV. Making UV tools more intuitive and more powerful and easier to get great results that require alot less tweaking. This would really be something that would enhance Lightwave.

mkiii
05-26-2005, 04:54 PM
I always thought modelrs UV tools were the easiest to use of any app.. and tweaking is part of the job especially if you are doing games related stuff where everything needs to be optimised.

However, Everything can be improved upon.

Unfortunately as far as I can see, the UV tools have been getting progressively more broken since 8.0 came out.

In 8.0 they seemed to work much as before but since the last couple of updates, they have been full of work stopping bugs on anything more complex than a subdivided box.

For example, the UV Flip tools now only work if you unweld the polys first, even if they are in a self contained group - annoying, but I can live with that.

More aggrivating, any editing, (on anything remotely complex) after the UV map has been created, leaves dozens of stray points behind - which up until now was a minor niggle, that usually went away after a bit of merging or deleting from the UV map - but now they have magically become persistant, and can be selected in polygon mode, and just for extra effect, cause crashes if you try to get rid of them - way to go.

I have had to step back to V7.5 to get a project finished because of this bug - which has been noted in the bug workshop - and so far has not had a single comment - although I find it hard to believe that I am the only one making high poly objects & UV mapping them that is coming up agains this bug.

All this seems to be as a result of the effort to ''Improve'' the UV mapping tools.
If this is improvement, I vote for them to be left alone. They worked before, now they don't

Lamont
05-26-2005, 07:10 PM
I'll say it before and I'll say it again:

Pixel/grid Snap toggle, I like to be able to do this really bad!
Aliased/anti-aliased toggle.
Being able to view the image repeating, and set repeat numbers in U and V.
An actual UV selection mode. I am sure it will not confuse LW users, we're smart folk.
Show the alpha in the viewport.
Image ratio on/off toggle.
A pull-down in the viewport to export the UV's an an image.
Relaxing of the UV's.

mkiii
05-28-2005, 06:13 AM
All sounds good to me.

However, I would be happy for UV selection to just work like it (almost) did before v8.0 came along & broke it.

Without random undeletable points.
Without Merged polygons vanishing from the map (and leaving more orphan points)
Without Polygons randomly attaching themseleves over to a seam at the other edge of the UV map, or even worse, all to one point in the corner of the map.
Without My 3ghz machine slowing to a standstill because I have accidentally selected one of these orphan points, that just happens to really be 30,000 polys all in one place because I previously tried to remove them from the UV map & the decided they wanted to hide in the bottom corner.

IMO the beta testers had better start doing their testing on something substantial instead of a crummy box or a low poly character. Get yerselves a million polygon structure & Uv map that.

Not all of us are spending our time animating hypervoxels n sprites y know Newtek.

Lamont
05-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I think the only problem I have had that you've listed is with some points being un-deletable, but even that has been a while, since 8.0. And the UV's being messed up is something I got when I imported another mesh from another app.

jalaska
05-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Well, what I was hoping for was pelting and relaxing in Lightwave UV tools along with fixing the bug with the orphan points that are for some reason not deletable. And as someone else suggested even a pull down menu in viewports to export a uv image or some kind of UV scale resolution export tool from the viewport.
These kinds of changes I think would save alot of time.

Lamont
05-30-2005, 08:55 PM
They need to have someone who lives, eats and poops UV mapping to really run it through the gauntlet.

Lamont
06-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Common UV tools should be able to right click the the UV viewport, and have them there. This would be seperate from the 3 pop-up menus available in Modeler. Or have the basic functions along the UV viewport: flip V, flip U, unitize.. ect.