PDA

View Full Version : Re-appearing deleted objects

GATOR
05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Any suggestions on what to do when items have been deleted, and when the object is sent to layout, they show up. Or when you open the object in Modeler again, it returns?

I have a model with about 10 layers. Two items that I created and used to create other shapes and then deleted refuse to go away.

This has happened in almost every model I've built. It's driving me nuts. I'm new to the program, but have a fair grasp of the basics (and over 14 years of modeling in other programs).

I just upgraded to 8.3, hoping it would take care of the problem, but it didn't. I use the Mac version on system 10.3.4.

Do I need to do a clean re-install?

hunter
05-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I know this is a stupid question but did you save it after you deleted them?

GATOR
05-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes, saved it, did 'save as,' did the incremental saves. Open any of them up, and there is my stray little object again.

kjl
05-25-2005, 11:24 AM
You are probably hiding these objects with '-' instead of deleting them ('-' removes an object in layout, but only temporarily hides them in modeler). You can delete them with 'delete' or cut them with 'x' and that should work.

Surrealist.
05-25-2005, 01:30 PM
"-" does not hide the object in Layout that is modeler only. To hide an object in layout you have to go to Windows/Layers Pannel and similar to photoshop you click on a little black dot in this case on the right side.

This is the only way to create this scenario because Layout does not update these hidden objects when going back and forth, only after save and reload. otherwise if you want to hide them you have to do so manualy in Layout when you switch over

A good idea would be to simplify and try and recreate this problem with something simple, get familiar with what the hub willl do and what it can't.

kjl
05-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Ya, I know - he was having a problem where surfaces he was deleting in modeler were showing up in layout, and then reappearing if he reloaded the object in modeler. I think he's trying to delete the surfaces with "-" in modeler, which only hides them (so they of course appear in layout, and when the object is reloaded in modeler, show up again, as hide/unhide state is not saved when you save the model).

GATOR
05-25-2005, 04:12 PM
That sounds like my problem. I was under the impression the "-" was used to delete objects. Most of my 'training' on the program is via a training DVD, and it looks like I mis-understood what the guy was doing when he said something like "now let's get rid of this thing."

Thanks for the feedback, more stupid questions to follow...

Surrealist.
05-26-2005, 03:55 AM
Ya, I know - he was having a problem where surfaces he was deleting in modeler were showing up in layout, and then reappearing if he reloaded the object in modeler. I think he's trying to delete the surfaces with "-" in modeler, which only hides them (so they of course appear in layout, and when the object is reloaded in modeler, show up again, as hide/unhide state is not saved when you save the model).

Good call man!