PDA

View Full Version : How to change default location for cfg files?

3DEagle
05-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Hi,

RIKI explained this in an other post (see copy below). Problem is that I just did not get it...have no clue what he means. Can someone please explain the explanation. (I know...I am dead stupid...but proud of it).

Copy >>>

Open 'Applications > Lightwave > Programs > Modeler cmdLine' and the Hub cmdline files in BBEDit (text editor etc) and set the custom location as shown below.

-c"HD:Users:riki:MySpecialLightwaveFolder:Configurati ons" -p"HD:Users:riki:MySpecialLightwaveFolder:Configurati ons"

That worked really painlessly for me. Of course you need to save copys of your menu cofig files etc to these locations first.

End Copy <<<

Thanks in advance

Ole
Sweden

JML
05-25-2005, 06:45 AM
it's pretty simple,

- go in your lightwave 8 folder
it should be located at :
yourcomputername:applications:lightwave [8]

- open 'lightwave cmdline' with textedit.
(right click on the file, select 'open with' , find textedit application)

-make a folder for the config files.
for example, create a 'config' folder in your lightwave [8] folder

- in 'lightwave cmdline' , write :
-c"yourcomputername:Applications:Lightwave [8]:config" -p"yourcomputername:Applications:Lightwave [8]:config"

hope that helps,

BeeVee
05-25-2005, 06:46 AM
1. Make a folder inside your LightWave folder caled Configs;
2. Assuming you are using the default path of Macintosh HD:Applications:LightWave then edit the CMDLine file found in the Programs folder of LightWave to read:

-c"Macintosh HD:Applications:LightWave:Configs"

if you are using a different path use that instead but include the whole path in quotes as I have done.

Make sure you save the CMDLine in plain text, not RTF.

B

FranK10
05-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Some guys have been faster than me, anyway this was mine: :)

If you want to know how to save your config files to a specific folder, you can do this way:

If you have Desktop shortcut icons to Layout and Modeler, you can click with the right mouse button on each one and select properties.
Then, in the destination value, you can add a line that specifies where you want to store your config files and also your plugin config file.

For example, if you have a folder in C:\Programs\Config you must add:
-c"C:\Programs\Config"
and if you want to put your plug-in config in C:\Programs\Config\Plug-In you add:
-p"C:\Programs\Config\Plug-In"

At the end you can have a destination value like this:
C:\Programs\Lightwave[8_3]\Programs\modeler.exe -c"C:\Programs\Config" -p"C:\Programs\Config\Plug-In"

Of course change the paths to your real folders.

Hope this helped.

BeeVee
05-25-2005, 07:37 AM
3D Eagle was asking for a Mac, where the process is somewhat different...

B

FranK10
05-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Yes, I realized that later, but he didn't post the thread in the LW-Mac section nor it was specified the Mac in the first post, so the title in this general support made me a bit confused. (I haven't a Mac).

3DEagle
05-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks a lot to all,

Acctaully I have a PC...and thats probably why I had no clue what RIKI was talking about :)

I am sure that your MAC answers will be valuable to many MAC owners so it was a good thing that you cleared that up too.

I will do the PC tweak as soon as I come home....thanks again!

Enjoy Sunshine in Life

Ole