PDA

View Full Version : Layout <> Modeler communication problem

grgart
05-24-2005, 04:51 PM
I need help, please.

I made base object in modeler, loaded it in layout and matched camera and perspective over BG image.
Now i have to add other elements on basic obj based on a BG image from layout.
So, i swap to modeler, add element, swap to layout to check position and back to modeler to make corrections and add detail, and so on (time you wish lw is one single app :mad: ) .

Problem: after few changes (swaps between layout/modeler) both layout and modeler do not respond any more, and only solution is to kill them and start over.

BTW, lw is 8.3 but i happend before, also.
Tried on 2 configs: Athlon/Ati and Intel/Nvidia.
Tried with and without firewall (Windows XP SP2 default firewall).
Also killed all extra tasks, virus killer 'n stuff.

I'm out of ideas, please help.
How to make hub communication stabile ?

Thanx.

Silkrooster
05-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Not sure if it is the problem or not, but one thing to check is the hub config file, make sure only one layout and modeler is listed and they point to the correct location.
Silk

theo
05-24-2005, 11:03 PM
My advice? Get used to it. This is the norm with the infamous Lightwave hub.

Frankly, after you resign yourself it really isn't that bad of an issue.

There are a couple of solutions- one is to do all of your object adjustments in Layout- like XYZ and HPB crap or whatever then download a plugin off Flay that allows you to load these adjusted objects back into Modeller OR just get in the habit of killing all of the objects in Layout and replacing them with the newly adjusted layers or objects from Modeller from time to time.

Another thing is to make sure you launch Modeller from Layout in the scene you are working on.

Surrealist.
05-25-2005, 01:49 AM
As habbit I always start Layout first and then swith to Modeler through the hub even just to start a modeling session because I have had similar weird things happen. Also at times the hub does not start right away on first lauuch of Layout. I close down and restart.

Try starting layout first and then open modeler from there and see if that gives things a kickstart.

Other than that it sould work maybe there is somthng going on with the config file.

One last thing check to make sure you are not loading up Layout with a bunch of unwanted modeler parts in stray layers and then switching back and forth and deleting things.

The Hub does get confused if you throw all kinds of stuff at it that doesn't match up.

I always make sure and clean house in layout to make sure I don't leave things that were deleted in modeler etc. you get the idea.

just keep it simple and manualy delete from Layout if need be. Also watch to see if other objects are getting loaded from Layout that were in the scene when you switch to Modeler. If one does and you clear it from Modeler, it can cause things to act up when going back and forth.

Anyway once you get used to how it works, you'll know what it can handle and what it can't.

grgart
05-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Well, I'm happy I don't have to "click" on layout so often any more, I meen "swapping", what gave me a lot of trouble.
Spent 200euro for second CRT and problem solved, kind of. :)
I can stay in modeler and make obj adjustment as long as I need and just press F11 (assigned to Synchronize layout) to see change in layout on the other monitor :)

Conclusion: Wanna nearly safe use of lw hub, treat yourself with dual display ! :D