PDA

View Full Version : New Personal Flyer

kopperdrake
05-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Well, I post on the archviz forums most of the time but figured I'd start sticking some work up on here - I love nosing at others' work so in for a penny etc

This is a moving flyer for me when I move in a month or so. I'm going to render up each room (time allowing) before we actually decorate/knock down/rebuild - this will hopefully be the living area once the fluffy wallpaper and carpets are torn away ;) I need to get rid of the reflections on the walls and ceiling on a render tonight, but apart from that it's done.

These are my current details though (haven't signed the contracts yet!)

Dunk

Ah - all FPrimed - gotta love that software :D

starbase1
05-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Love those floorboards, and great lighting!

But is something odd going on with the wall to the right of the window? It looks like you can see patrt of the distant object through it?

Nick

pauland
05-24-2005, 05:55 AM
We'll all be round for tea..

..love the hedgehog motif and model. Great job.

Paul

kopperdrake
05-24-2005, 05:58 AM
Ah - that's the reflection on the walls and ceiling I was on about :) It's reflecting the window behind the camera on the far wall and window! I dropped a 5% reflection on the walls and ceiling to help the radiosity along, but forgot to add any bump map to diffuse the reflection. Only thing is with FPrime you can happily set bounces to 3 which really negates the need to add any reflection so I have to remove it in a render tonight.

kopperdrake
05-24-2005, 06:02 AM
LOL Paul :) Any fellow LWers are always welcome for a cuppa and hobnob (though it's rare to find a stray hobnob around here ;) ) :D

Needless to say it looks *nothing* like this at the moment! The couple we're buying from are in their mid 80s - bless 'em! But, so is the decoration ;)

pauland
05-24-2005, 06:11 AM
It would be great if you had a real physical hedgehog like that. Perhaps art-to-part might be an idea..

Paul

kopperdrake
05-24-2005, 06:22 AM
Hehe - believe me, the idea has crossed my mind ;) I used them for the first time at Christmas (had a model built of me and mar lady) and was really impressed! I like the slightly sandy texture you get with it, feels like a real sculpture :D

I'd love to get this scene made up :)

pauland
05-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Hehe - believe me, the idea has crossed my mind ;) I used them for the first time at Christmas (had a model built of me and mar lady) and was really impressed! I like the slightly sandy texture you get with it, feels like a real sculpture :D

I'd love to get this scene made up :)

OK, now you *have* to show a pic of the models you had made..

Captain Obvious
05-24-2005, 08:51 AM
I love the floor texture. Nice image.

ravantra
05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Great logo....simple, elegant and fun.... Nice work!

adrian
05-25-2005, 01:33 AM
How did you make that floor texture? It's perfect!

Very nice image indeed. I was going to ask your render settings but then I saw you used Fprime.... I keep hearing about this plug... sounds like this is a real "must-have" for LW. Does it speed up renders as well as improve quality?

Adrian.

kopperdrake
05-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

The floor texture is just the usual wood-tile with a bump map applied that complements the colour texture. A bit of reflection (about 10% I think) and specularity. Nothing unusual at all, except it's a nice texture in the first place I think :)

FPrime is a *must* for architectural work in my eyes :) In fact, for lots of applications it's great! Its downside is that it can't work with a few of Lightwave's shaders and volumetrics yet, but I've great faith in Newtek sorting out the necessary hooks in the SDK in the future for that. Its great bonus is that it calculates radiosity extremely fast - 2 and 3 bounce radiosity settings are so much quicker! Plus the real time feedback you get (FPrime's preview window is always on when you work) means you get real time updates when you move the camera, lights, change textures etc. Believe me, it's speeded up my workflow so much since having it and I haven't pressed F9 in about 6 months :D That scene took about an hour I think (from memory), but it has area lights coming in from every window, a large sun area light, an HDRI world map, reflections and 3-bounce radiosity :) Stick it in LW's standard renderer and you may as well lose a day! Also with FPrime it gradually 'cooks' the image, so the longer you leave it the better it gets :) You can pull something out earlier if you have a really tight deadline.

It's worth downloading the sample movies from Worley's site to see FPrime in action - I was stunned when I used it for the first time!

Dunk

kopperdrake
05-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Ah - the render and the model :) Bear in mind that the model is about 6" tall :)

Captain Obvious
05-25-2005, 05:13 AM
It is a very nice floor tecture. Where did you get it? ;)

That model is cool. If I was stinkin' rich, I'd buy myself a machine for making such things.

kopperdrake
05-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Textures get all jubbled up from project to project so I'm never reasonably sure where they've come from - they come over with surfaces that I reuse :) LOL!!

Wouldn't we all!! The fun you could have :D

Captain Obvious
05-26-2005, 02:35 AM
I play (well, [i]played) quite a bit of Warhammer (http://www.games-workshop.com/tabletop.htm)... Imagine being able to make a model yourself in Lightwave and printing it! :D Awesome.

pauland
05-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Thanks for sharing the model with us. Great LW work translated into a great model. Must be a real conversation starter.

Paul