PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a spiral of cards?

aniboy2000
05-23-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm afraid my approach as described in the last post may be wrong, so I'm asking how to do this:

I'm trying to position a partial set of playing cards in a neat spiral or helix, something like in the attached sketch. I have individual textures for each card.
I don't care if I do it in Modeler or in Layout, as long as the textures line up to the cards' faces.
I've had absolutely no luck trying to make UV maps for the cards, so it would probably be easiest to make the helix out of separate card objects in Layout (with Planar textures), but there is no automatic command or plugin to do this.

Any ideas?

Hoopti
05-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Create the basic card you want to use.

Create a series of points on a different layer of the spiral you want to use. Make sure that if you want one crad to "sit on top of another" you adjust the y axis of the points as well.

Use Point Close Plus.

Hoop

aniboy2000
05-24-2005, 02:35 PM
What's "Point Close Plus"?
(I'm not very experienced in LW, as you can tell.)

Surrealist.
05-24-2005, 03:22 PM
It's under Multiply/Duplicate/More.

Basically you have the points in a BG layer and you clone the card to each point.

The interface looks a little daunting at first but try it out with the default settings, just click OK.

It has a lot of powerful features that alow you to determine where the clone object lays in relation to the point. On top, below centered etc and you can control it by the axis.

Some of it is self explanitory but it is covered pretty well in the LW8 manual.

Experinment with a simple object and a few points just to get the idea of how to control it first then move on to your scene.

Additional tips:

If you are planning to animate the cards make sure and cut and paste each card into it's own layer. Then go to Windows/layers panel to double click to rename and also make the layers vissable or not in Layout using the little black dots. This is useful say if you have any pieces of your object you don't want to show up in layout.

Also there is a plugin to Assign Pivot. If animating you will want to go into each card's layer to assign the pivot to the center of the card automatically with this plugin. You may have to rescan your plug in directory to find it.

In Layout you can just size your card image to one surface get all of the settings corect that you want then copy and paste to the other card surfaces and simply go in and change the image to the desired card. I think you can also multi-select surfaces and make global changes to things such as specularity. But it is better to start out simple. Load up one card and do the surface as you want it then simply apply that to the others when you are ready.

You can also save and load surfaces.